Another Gem came along

Old 09-02-2015, 01:40 PM

Default Another Gem came along

Here I go again. I was trolling CL, something I just must quit, and here was a post for a Centennial Featherweight. Well, I have a Centennial 201 and 15-91 so I just couldn't resist looking into this post. It was listed for $250 or best offer. The case is really broken up around the latches so much so I am not sure it can be fixed. There was a manual but very few accessories. The decals were in excellent shape so I offered him $200 and he took it. I don't know if I made a wise choice or not but I mainly wanted the Centennial Featherweight to go with my other Centennial models. I already have 2 other featherweights so it wasn't that I didn't have one. Oh, well, I think I am now positively thru collecting sewing machines. I have over 70 and I can't think of any other machine I would like to have. One question though, there was a metal box of Geist attachments that came with the machine. I have been looking on ebay and noticed that these attachments are listed for singer machines but I can't figure out how you would attach them to the presser foot bar because they have a different way of connecting. Can anyone help with this.
Attached Thumbnails centennial-singer-front.jpg   singer-221-centennial-backside.jpg   centennial-singer-broken-case.jpg   geist-attachments-centennial-featherweight-resized.jpg  
Old 09-02-2015, 03:18 PM

Oooooo, nice machine. Shiny and well cared for it looks like.

The case will take a lot of work and recovering, but for one who likes a challenge it's doable.

The accessories do not go with the Featherweight. They are for one of the older top clamp machines.

Joe
Old 09-02-2015, 03:24 PM

no, that set will NOT fit any Singer out there. Griest made many, many different sets including a few that fit Singers, but this is not one of them. You've actually got parts of more than one set there, and plates are those that would fit a White Rotary.

This is what the sets that will fit a Singer set looks like. These two both have the shirr plate and underbraider that will fit a VS machine, but the rest of the feet will fit any short shank Singer SS machine.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:37 PM

BTW- just about any Singer set (green box) will fit your machine - just make sure it's short shank. They are more common on eBay than the black box greist sets. By the time Greist switched to the cardboard box, they were making many side clamp sets similar to the one on the right. If you get that style, make sure the adapter part is included.

This is what the set that would have come with my 1955 221 would look like - and yes, at this time there were often a mixture of black and nickel finished pieces. If you look in your manual - you'll see pictures of the basic attachment set that would have come with the machine.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:06 PM

A wise decision? After your first one or two working machines wise has nothing to do with it.
I think you did well. The machine is in great cosmetic shape and you got a good price on it. The case can be repaired. It will take some work though. Tolex is the material that's used on instrument cases. It would be about the best match that's around these days. It's also been around forever so might actually be what was used originally. It comes in a wide range of colors and styles. If you want a custom colored case this is a good opportunity.
Do you have any woodworker types in your area that want a challenge?
I know there are also people making pretty good reproduction cases too.
Rodney
Old 09-02-2015, 04:55 PM

good deal and somebody out there is making the really nice cedar cases for the FW's. They are gorgeous.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:49 AM

Beautiful machine!
Old 09-07-2015, 01:39 AM

well I'm glad I'm not the only one - I have 2 featherweights (not bad in appearance but definitely not a '10' decals are rubbed, etc) and then got my mom's which is a centennial and has some scratches (she didn't do it bought it that way) and the other day I saw one with my mom's birthyear at a shop - so far I"ve held off - partly because I've ore than blown my sewing maching budget this month BIG time and partly because it's not a good price like yours and I just can't decide notlike I don't already think of my mom esp when I inherited a good sized herd from her...but this one is sooooo pretty..sigh.I wouldn't even care about the case since I carry mine in a different bag

and I'm only at 40 something on vintage and antique machines!
Old 09-07-2015, 05:18 AM

Y'all are so lucky! When they come up on Craigslist around here they want $400 for them. They don't seem to get it but that's all they want. I would have bought it in a heartbeat, no case at all. Enjoy your sewing.