Another sewing machine case

Old 09-25-2014, 12:51 PM

Default Another sewing machine case

In between other things I've been building a case for Ella's older sister, a 1903 Singer 27. Ella is a 1908 model 27 treadle machine that was given to me by Kateluvstoquilt. Both machines have the pheasant decals. I bought the 1903 machine as a parts machine for Ella and I have robbed the treadle parts and tension parts to get Ella going but I think she's worth fixing in her own right. I've been working on the case for a while now and it's almost finished. I just need to round up some hardware, put a bottom on it and shellack it.
Here's a few pictures.

I'm not sure what kind of wood the case is made from. It's from a couple planks my dad and brother found on the beach years ago. The darker panels in the top are from a mahogany doorskin that I scavenged from an old closet door.
I made the case a little longer so I could fit a handcrank to the machine (that will be a separate project). The lidded storage was inspired by my White Rotary's bentwood case. Soman2 (the other Rodney) inspired me to build the extra work area. I've been spoiled by sewing on cabinet machines, I like a large work area. I still need to learn to build a lightweight case. This one is on the heavy side.
If you look, you can see Cari's gold painted Jones below my machine where it's waiting for it's spa treatment.
Thanks for looking,
Rodney
Old 09-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Banned

No pics are showing Rodney. Forum gremlins at work again.

Cari
Old 09-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Thanks, they show here. Apparently deleting the attachments was a mistake. I'll fix it. thanks for the heads up.
Rodney

EDIT to add Pics.

These should work. Having the extension fit in the case so well was pure luck. I knew it would fit inside but not that it would nestle into the edges around the panels so well.
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails ellas-older-sister-003.jpg   ellas-older-sister-002.jpg   ellas-older-sister-004.jpg   ellas-older-sister-005.jpg  

Last edited by Rodney; 09-25-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Banned

Looking good Rodney. Interesting extension and cool that it fits in the case top. I like using a machine in a cabinet better too because I'm short and setting a portable up on a table makes the machine sit too high for me to be comfortable. My first dining room table was 2 inches lower than most and I kept that ugly thing for years because I was more comfortable sitting at it while sewing.

Cari
Old 09-25-2014, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Thanks, they show here. Apparently deleting the attachments was a mistake. I'll fix it. thanks for the heads up. Rodney
Thanks for the chuckle! Your case looks great.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:49 AM

Great work Rodney. Methinks I spy Cari's Goldie Jonesie under the table.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:55 AM

That's where it's living at the moment. Once Ashlea's quilt is done I'll start tackling these other projects. Cari knows hers isn't an overnight fix. I don't know what the person who painted it was thinking but they were thorough.
Rodney
Old 09-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
That's where it's living at the moment. Once Ashlea's quilt is done I'll start tackling these other projects. Cari knows hers isn't an overnight fix. I don't know what the person who painted it was thinking but they were thorough.
Rodney
I'm okay with my stuff being on the back burner. As long as the rocking chair is done by Christmas, that's the only thing I care about.

Cari
Old 09-26-2014, 03:40 PM

That will be done way before then.
Rodney
Old 09-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Your case is great! Those extensions are a good idea. Nice work!