View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Rodney

Default Another sewing machine case

In between other things I've been building a case for Ella's older sister, a 1903 Singer 27. Ella is a 1908 model 27 treadle machine that was given to me by Kateluvstoquilt. Both machines have the pheasant decals. I bought the 1903 machine as a parts machine for Ella and I have robbed the treadle parts and tension parts to get Ella going but I think she's worth fixing in her own right. I've been working on the case for a while now and it's almost finished. I just need to round up some hardware, put a bottom on it and shellack it.
Here's a few pictures.

I'm not sure what kind of wood the case is made from. It's from a couple planks my dad and brother found on the beach years ago. The darker panels in the top are from a mahogany doorskin that I scavenged from an old closet door.
I made the case a little longer so I could fit a handcrank to the machine (that will be a separate project). The lidded storage was inspired by my White Rotary's bentwood case. Soman2 (the other Rodney) inspired me to build the extra work area. I've been spoiled by sewing on cabinet machines, I like a large work area. I still need to learn to build a lightweight case. This one is on the heavy side.
If you look, you can see Cari's gold painted Jones below my machine where it's waiting for it's spa treatment.
Thanks for looking,
Rodney