Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Any idea where I should go from here? >

Any idea where I should go from here?

Any idea where I should go from here?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:57 AM

Default Any idea where I should go from here?

This is the cabinet I got with my Necchi BU Supernova. Who knows what is looked like originally but it had been painted at some point in it's life sort of a guacamole gone bad color.

It was a bear to strip and I had to go at it again and again with assorted strippers and steel wool. Now that I have it naked it's really nice wood but more than one type or color. *I know nothing about wood.

What should I do next? Would it even take a stain evenly? I sorta like the two toned effect so it's ok if it doesn't. I was thinking Shellac. Is that what would have been used in that time frame? (It's a Necchi desk--probably mid to late 50's)
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0524-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0666-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0657-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

You did a great job ! I think shellac is a good idea !
Old 05-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Banned

My favorite stain color is dark walnut. I've used it on different woods over the years and it always comes out great.

Cari
Old 05-22-2015, 10:42 AM

I like the varied colors and grains in that wood. Were it mine I think I'd shellac it with amber shellac. Then wax it good and use it.

When I do shellac I use a lint free cloth to wipe it on rather than a paint brush. I get a much evener finish that way.

Joe
Old 05-22-2015, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I like the varied colors and grains in that wood. Were it mine I think I'd shellac it with amber shellac. Then wax it good and use it.

When I do shellac I use a lint free cloth to wipe it on rather than a paint brush. I get a much evener finish that way.

Joe
Joe I like the different woods too, so I think I will be happy with the amber shellac. The inside of the cabinet has scratches consistent with plenty of use. The outside has a birthmark that I am not sure if I can get rid of or not. No amount of steel wool and stripper would remove it.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0658-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0659-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 12:11 PM

there are various drying and drawing agents for wood that MAY get rid of your "birthmark" ...you could also try a hot iron over a piece of soft cloth.... if it is an oil spot soaked in that will draw some of it out. ( I have built and repaired some rifle stocks and deal with WELL oiled woods on occasion) if you dont mind sanding and staining a toothbrush and some alcohol might also remove some of the oil, but will result in a white-ish dry area that will have to be carefully recolored with stain ( the alcohol is slight drying agent and will remove oil but the rest of your wood has natural oils ... so it will "bleach" a little)
up to you if you are going for "NEW" or character.. I do not think the mark is that bad

Also a trick for dents and dings ( are's where the wood was compressed but not chipped out ) is a wet rag and a hot iron... you can force steam into a dent and swell the wood back out.

Last edited by greywuuf; 05-22-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
there are various drying and drawing agents for wood that MAY get rid of your "birthmark" ...you could also try a hot iron over a piece of soft cloth.... if it is an oil spot soaked in that will draw some of it out. ( I have built and repaired some rifle stocks and deal with WELL oiled woods on occasion) if you dont mind sanding and staining a toothbrush and some alcohol might also remove some of the oil, but will result in a white-ish dry area that will have to be carefully recolored with stain ( the alcohol is slight drying agent and will remove oil but the rest of your wood has natural oils ... so it will "bleach" a little)
up to you if you are going for "NEW" or character.. I do not think the mark is that bad

Also a trick for dents and dings ( are's where the wood was compressed but not chipped out ) is a wet rag and a hot iron... you can force steam into a dent and swell the wood back out.
I am ok with "character" but would lighten the mark if I could. I'll give the iron and cloth a try and see if that helps.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

WOW, I like all those drawers, lucky you. I like the idea of two different colors.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:36 PM

I like those woods. Are you planning to reuse the drawer pulls or get new hardware?
Old 05-22-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I like those woods. Are you planning to reuse the drawer pulls or get new hardware?
Zozee, I haven't decided fully. On one hand I like the coolness and the weight of the heavy metal handles, on the other they are a glossed gold color that has worn badly. I'm not sure if I should try and strip them or just paint over them. They would look nice in a warm tone to accent the cabinet. I wonder if i can just spray with Rustoleum?