Price on Singer 66 Red Eye

Old 05-18-2015, 08:38 PM

Default Price on Singer 66 Red Eye

I'm starting to look at treadle machines. Saw one on Craig List for a 1915 Singer 66 Red Eye in the cabinet for $150.00. Went and looked at the machine and the head decals were in very good condition and the cabinet was good as well. Sews well.
I don't know what would be a fair price. Can anyone give my some guidelines. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 PM

I usually go by how much I want it to determine if it's worth it or not...beautiful decals that I like and works and cabinet good I would pay $150. I posted pics of one a friend is wanting to sell (don't know her price yet) but I"m not sure I'd pay $100 for it - haven't sewn on it and it needs some bigtime cleaning I think and doubt it sews since I think the belt isn't fixed right - the decals are pretty -not super vivid IMO - but I don't know if I'd go over $100 for it - or even if I'd pay that. but I already have 2 treadles and one is another singer. for a beautiful Redeye like you described I'd probably pay $150. shoot I just paid $250 for a handcrank and no I don't think it was 'worth' that much but it had been cleaned and ready to sew and I was sewing on it and the decals were in nice condtion. I bonded with it and decided to buy it...just hope I don't bond with too many at that kind of price! but if I came across a beautiful one with nice floral decals I'd probably justify paying more since those appeal to me. if the handcrank I bought hadn't had nice decals I wouldn't have gotten it most likely. I passed on a pretty little pfaff treadle - the as-is price was $250 and it was one that wasn't as user-friendly with the shuttle and didn't have anything with it - pretty but the decals weren't vivid- they wre very faded and some were completely rubbed off. couldn't justify it..sigh...
Old 05-18-2015, 09:03 PM

from things i've seen I think Minnesota is treadle heaven! you probably see tons of treadles up your way! I've been envious with Oregon and Minnesota!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:25 PM

Maybe it's our long winters have something to do with it.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
I usually go by how much I want it to determine if it's worth it or not...beautiful decals that I like and works and cabinet good I would pay $150. I posted pics of one a friend is wanting to sell (don't know her price yet) but I"m not sure I'd pay $100 for it - haven't sewn on it and it needs some bigtime cleaning I think and doubt it sews since I think the belt isn't fixed right - the decals are pretty -not super vivid IMO - but I don't know if I'd go over $100 for it - or even if I'd pay that. but I already have 2 treadles and one is another singer. for a beautiful Redeye like you described I'd probably pay $150. shoot I just paid $250 for a handcrank and no I don't think it was 'worth' that much but it had been cleaned and ready to sew and I was sewing on it and the decals were in nice condtion. I bonded with it and decided to buy it...just hope I don't bond with too many at that kind of price! but if I came across a beautiful one with nice floral decals I'd probably justify paying more since those appeal to me. if the handcrank I bought hadn't had nice decals I wouldn't have gotten it most likely. I passed on a pretty little pfaff treadle - the as-is price was $250 and it was one that wasn't as user-friendly with the shuttle and didn't have anything with it - pretty but the decals weren't vivid- they wre very faded and some were completely rubbed off. couldn't justify it..sigh...
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 PM

you're welcome- after reading and responding I'm re-thinking the treadle I was looking at - it's not perfect and will take up space...if the cabinet is in good shape for what she asks then maybe...I don't have unlimited space but I have a redeye that might convert back to treadle- think it has the spoked wheel on it - if the cabinet is nice...it's good to get perspective sometimes LOL!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:18 AM

Red Eyes are very common - and for $150 or more, I'd want the machine and cabinet in near perfect condition.

I personally don't think MN is super great for machines - though there are lots of them. I've found my very best deals in St. Louis MO area. I should add up how many MN and MO machines I've ended up with. I'm sure more from MN as I go there more often, and it's rare I don't come back with at least one machine.

Though my Demorest came from just north of Atlanta - and the owners had picked it up in WI years ago while traveling. So they hauled it from WI to GA, and then I hauled it from GA to SD - a well traveled machine.

quilt938 - maybe you should convert your RedEye to a hand crank. I bought an aftermarket one for this machine, it came with a motor that I removed.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:41 PM

wow Cathy yours is beautiful! I have one I just 'had' to buy back when the 'fever' first hit and it's not in good cosmetic shape at all :-( the 2nd is much better(and to tell you how bad my memory is..whenI came across a 2nd one I thought' when did I get 2?!) but then I remembered

it seems like every goodwill or other posting about treadles or 'good' sewing machines I like - they're up north LOL! makes sense Missouri would be a good source...think I need to rent a cargo van and travel!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:40 AM

Treadles in Portland seem to go for about $150. Prices seem better in Seattle. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. I like to buy machines with good cabinets and great decals. But I also like to rescue machines.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:33 PM

I got my 2nd Red Eye treadle head for free. It was locked up from ancient oil and just a bit of rust. Its a 1921, sews very quietly and smoothly.
Sharon in Texas