Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Anyone heard of a NEW VALLEY treadle ? >

Anyone heard of a NEW VALLEY treadle ?

Anyone heard of a NEW VALLEY treadle ?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by stonewoman View Post
FQD where or what part is the treadle foot plate?

She's coming along good, I think. She looks a lot different with all the rust off. Having a few issues, like getting the face plates to move and now I've got the metal back to silver - some parts have black spotty marks and some have silvery smudges???

And then today I managed to stop the foot lever from moving the foot up and down? Any ideas anyone on what I did wrong???

Another question I have people is - Where the paint has been chipped off and its rusted, do I put rust remover there carefully, not touching the paint?

Thanks
This part is a treadle foot plate:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]524087[/ATTACH]

This is a Singer one, and looks just like yours, though manufacturers copied each other a lot so who knows!

On the foot lever, do you mean the arm that attaches the foot plate to the fly wheel? Both pictured bellow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524088[/ATTACH]

I did look up treadle sewing machine parts to find an illustrated diagram to make this easier, but couldn't find one! Guess I have a project now
Attached Thumbnails singer-treadle-foot-plate.jpg   pitman-arm-flywheel.jpg  
Old 07-03-2015, 08:04 AM

Sorry I didn't explain right, I meant the lever at the back that lifts the little foot up and down ( the sits on the material ) Somehow, with my fiddling around I seem to have stopped it working.. and cant for the life of me work out how!
Can anyone advise me on the above cleaning issues?
Many thanks.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:46 AM

The lever with the numbers is the stitch length regulator and looks like this one as a reverse also. This lever is common on machines made in England called Jones. Do you have any idea where this machine is made?
Old 07-03-2015, 11:00 AM

Hello Glenn

Says on it Made in Germany, decal faintly says New Valley A, little tin box has a picture of the grizner factory on the inside lid with 1871.
Could you please possibly help on the above cleaning issues for me? I want her to look the bet I can get her and then I'm going to have a crack at doing the cabinet and legs. Do you think I should get the legs sandblasted as they look beyond me to fix up? First time ever touching a sewing machine, hahaha - its great fun tinkering !
Thankyou.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:27 AM

I would clean the mechanical workings first, underneath and inside the face plate before I go to the making pretty stage. As for as the irons I would use a wire brush to clean them and then spray with extent(any auto store). This will convert the rust to a black so it can be painted. Go to the sticky on how to repair the shellac coat on the sewing it is at the top of this forum. You can see if the decal that are left can be saved by cleaning them with sewing machine oil and cotton balls or soft rag (old white T shirt). Do ask question as you go along. We are here to help.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:32 PM

Glenn, thankyou I AM ON TO IT !!

Its Saturday morning here and I will see what I can do over the weekend!
Old 09-03-2020, 09:12 PM

Default THE VALLEY R. G treadle machine

Hi I'm just following this conversation thread and wonder if this is same as the one I picked up today. The words are very faint, but it seems to read THE VALLEY R. G..
Machine is in a sad state, but I'm really interested if it can be restored. I'm hoping we'll have an expert here who can provide some info of this machine. Can't seem to upload any photos, keeps saying I need to contact administrator...
It looks very much like the machine that stonewoman has posted. I'll try if maybe I can upload the photos from my computer instead of the phone
Old 09-03-2020, 09:35 PM

Hi, i've just picked up one that looks very much like yours and would love to find out a little more about the machine
Old 09-03-2020, 09:42 PM

Hi folks, silly question, but how do i add an image in my message? can't find any button to add image. Thanks much