Bernina 730 Record

Old 05-13-2014, 12:02 PM
pw6

lucky you, I have a 1130 that I traded some quilting for from a daughter of a good quilting friend who passed. love it, but it started haveing a squeking noise in it so I put it away until I can afford to get it serviced, figure it is in the belt..
Old 05-13-2014, 12:31 PM

"Candace, WOW, that thing looks PERFECTLY CLEAN!!!! What a great job you did. I am so impressed that you could do that, plus re-wiring, in an afternoon."

Wow, that's great! Really nice looking machine. Good Job!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by pw6 View Post
lucky you, I have a 1130 that I traded some quilting for from a daughter of a good quilting friend who passed. love it, but it started haveing a squeking noise in it so I put it away until I can afford to get it serviced, figure it is in the belt..
Have you oiled and cleaned it recently? That may be all it needs. However, this model is a bear to open up and not one I'd suggest you do yourself it you're not experienced in this area. There are electrical circuits in the back and "tricks" to get it open. Not fun. But, you can clean out and oil the bobbin assembly area..
Old 05-13-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
I just love old Berninas....
My Mom has a 930 Record...and it has been very lovingly used a lot. She still uses it but doesn't sew like she used to...
The really good thing about it....it is listed in the will. That machine doesn't deserve to be abused by my sister....I have been instructed to get her a $99 Wally World Special.
You will love it. My 930 won't be leaving my hoard any time soon. Your sister will probably be happy with the "new" machine and we sure won't tell her any different;>
Old 05-13-2014, 07:51 PM

My DD got a Bernina 730 for her 15th birthday. She was so happy to have a decent machine.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:33 PM

Hi Candace,
I have the 730 with a cracked cam gear and the part has been ordered. Do you have any tips on replacing the part? It does not look hard to remove but I can't see any timing issues when re-installing the cams.

Thanks, SpikeT
Old 12-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

I found a 730 recently for less than ten dollars and shared a pic of it with you all. I ended up giving it to my older sister who lives near me. It was perfect after I cleaned on it a while. I tested it out and it worked like new.

I really felt obligated to pass it along. I gave my younger sister my original 830 record and she loves it. So, why not? I have the 440 aurora and a 180 artista with the upgrade in it to a 200. I would not use it enough to keep it happy. You have to use a machine to keep it working well. At least that is my thought on it.

I have my mother's old singer 99 in the garage. It is from the fifties. I should get it out and use it more often, but, it is so dang heavy! Too heavy for me to lug around anyway.

I am happy for you that you were able to put it back together without ordering parts. What are the odds of that? Like someone said, it was meant to be.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spike Turbinado View Post
Hi Candace,
I have the 730 with a cracked cam gear and the part has been ordered. Do you have any tips on replacing the part? It does not look hard to remove but I can't see any timing issues when re-installing the cams.

Thanks, SpikeT
If you get in back in perfectly or with luck there may not be any timing issues, but with every one I've ever changed I've had to correct timing and or pendulum swing. It's not really a task for beginning tinkerers, but if you feel up to the challenge you'll need to purchase the service manual for it.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:45 PM

Thanks for your reply. I feel I'm well past the beginning tinkerer stage and I purchased a "Settings" aka Service manual I believe, yesterday. It would seem the cam dictates when the needle moves to the left or right as you can engage the pattern selector lever at any time but the indicator that shows where the needle is would have to match the needle's position. Is that the timing issue? I very much appreciate your time, I'm new to sewing and newer to fixing them.

SpikeT
Old 12-05-2014, 07:14 PM

If you mean the stitch wheel that shows the place in the pattern of the stitch? That's not part of the timing of the machine. If memory serves correctly, that wheel can be moved independently. Honestly, I'm not sure if I've even changed mine as I never use or look at it. The service manual should have a guide in it with info. about replacing the gear. I found even with the manual I had a lot of problems getting the timing and swing correct. It took me quite a while to get it right. Now after doing quite a few it's better and I'm quicker. But, don't feel badly if you need to take it to a Bernina tech. It's not an easy job and it's not intuitive.