Help With Light Fixture

Old 02-28-2015, 01:07 PM

Default Help With Light Fixture

I'm working on cleaning up my sister-in-law's 1920 Singer 66 red eye. I'd like to add a light fixture to it and I was looking at them on Sew-classic but I can't figure out which one I need for this machine. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. One other question, the bobbin area is different from the one in my 1930 66. There is no felt wick nor the spring to put the wick into. There doesn't appear to be a place for it either so i don't think it's missing. Where are the oiling points in the bobbin area of this machine?
Old 02-28-2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
One other question, the bobbin area is different from the one in my 1930 66. There is no felt wick nor the spring to put the wick into. There doesn't appear to be a place for it either so i don't think it's missing. Where are the oiling points in the bobbin area of this machine?
The answers to these questions are all spelled out in the manual, and singerco.com have these for various sub models.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:24 PM

Sarabela,

The lights sold by Sew-Classic and such are good useable replacements, but are nowhere near as nice as the originals.

My early 66s take this light fixture: { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Sing...nes-SCE428.htm }.
Depending on whether or not the machine has it's original motor will depend on how you wire it in. It goes under the inspection plate and is held on by the plate screw.

My later 66s have a notch at the 3 O'clock position under the inspection plate, they can use this light fixture:
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Ligh...ack-SCE503.htm } or the one above.
This one comes with and without a plug so it can be purchased for aftermarket type wiring or the original motor style.
S-C also has the screw to attach it if you go this route.

The early machines do not have a quick release for the bobbin case but they do have a hole on the side of the bobbin case retainer for the spring and felt wick.
The later machines have a quick release for the bobbin case and also have the hole for the spring and wick. I think your machine will be one with the QR. The hole is probably covered with gunk.

Here is a site that gives super duper instructions on how to R&R, clean, fix, make a new wick, and adjust the bobbin areas on all 66s: { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual }.
This one you should bookmark.

In lieu of the wick just put a drop of oil under the bobbin case where it rides on the hook occasionally.

Joe
Old 02-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Ikea sells a real neat black desk lamp for about $10 - they use LED bulbs and they don't get hot - you can direct the light anywhere you wish. You can also move it to a different machine...
Old 02-28-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sarabela,

Here is a site that gives super duper instructions on how to R&R, clean, fix, make a new wick, and adjust the bobbin areas on all 66s: { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual }.
This one you should bookmark.
Great idea Joe: Don't know why I didn't think of this, but the tfsr manual is a fantastic extra resource for models 66, 99, 201 and 15k and covers all versions.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:01 PM

Thank you so much for all the wonderful help! I can't wait to get this machine running. I played with it a little last night but it was in poor lighting. All the parts were there and everything turned, although there was reluctance due to not having been oiled in probably 30 years or more. The irons are a little rusty but mainly just on the part you put your feet. They moved just fine. It's still at my brothers house as I couldn't fit it in my trunk with passengers in the back seat. He is going to be dropping it off soon. Meanwhile I'm ordering a new treadle belt and bobbin winder tire.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:13 PM

Ooooo, I hope he doesn't ... "drop" ... it off ....

Joe
Old 02-28-2015, 09:45 PM

Wipe the irons down with sewing machine oil too. They'll look much better. Also oil the pivot points for the treadle and the ends of the crank for the wheel. IIRC Glenn uses graphite on the pitman arm. Oil works too.
Rodney
Old 03-01-2015, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Wipe the irons down with sewing machine oil too. They'll look much better. Also oil the pivot points for the treadle and the ends of the crank for the wheel. IIRC Glenn uses graphite on the pitman arm. Oil works too.
Rodney
Yes I use graphite only on the wooden pitmans the metal ones gets oil.
Skip
Old 03-01-2015, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Ikea sells a real neat black desk lamp for about $10 - they use LED bulbs and they don't get hot - you can direct the light anywhere you wish. You can also move it to a different machine...
I have one of the lamps that Miriam is talking about. You can see it in use with my 1917 White Rotary treadle.
Sharon in Texas
Attached Thumbnails 1917-white-rotary-treadle-002.jpg