Bernina 730 Record

Old 12-19-2014, 03:23 PM

I found the pertinent page in the service manual for the button hole problem. It reads;

"Fordoing this, adjust set screw (164) in such a manner that the correct feedadvance can be determined. Turn screw (164) clockwise and the stitch length isshortened when sewing in reverse. Turn it counterclockwise then the density(closeness) of stitches becomes bigger. Now start sewing the first edge and thefirst bar. Then adjust density, i.e.feed advance for the second edge which hasto be sewn ahead. For this, adjust screw (165) on stitch width lever. Turnscrew clockwise, then the feed advance becomes bigger, turn it anti-clockwiseand feed advance becomes smaller. Be careful that both edges are sewn in thesame stitch length. If the setting has been done correctly then it can be usedfor other fabrics too, but for this, you have to regulate the knob according tothe thickness or strength of the fabric; i.e. for sheer fabric set on 1, forthicker fabrics set on 3, 4 or 5 or its intermediate positions as required."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]503073[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image-56.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 05:38 PM

So I made the adjustments as suggested in the service manual and here are the results.
Before:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503193[/ATTACH]

After:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503194[/ATTACH]

I need some practice but the stitching on the first leg looks much closer to the stitching on the second leg.
Attached Thumbnails button-hole.jpg   button-hole2.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Spike Turbinado
I need some practice but the stitching on the first leg looks much closer to the stitching on the second leg.
Yes that's definitely a lot better now. Great job.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I realized if I increased the thread spacing in the leg by changing the satin stitch knob from 1 to 3 it was easier the compare the two legs. A little more adjustment resulted in the legs being very close:[ATTACH=CONFIG]503294[/ATTACH]

Now that I have the button hole adjusted I have changed my mind and decided to use a zipper rather than buttons in the duvet covers I altered. I'm not sure how to practice installing zippers but the Bernina instruction manual has the settings and the suggestion of using basting stitches on the the zipper and then sewing with a small stitch (1 1/2 -2) and removing the basting stitching. It should be fun!
Attached Thumbnails button-hole4.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Spike Turbinado
I'm not sure how to practice installing zippers but the Bernina instruction manual has the settings and the suggestion of using basting stitches on the the zipper and then sewing with a small stitch (1 1/2 -2) and removing the basting stitching. It should be fun!
Google it: There are plenty of helpful people out there. Youtube was my teacher for putting in zippers. Yes, do a few practice ones first and basting stitches are highly recommended too.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:31 PM

Thanks again. I found several videos that use a different foot than I have for invisible zippers but I think my zipper foot or the pintuck foot I have will work. Rather than pining the zipper I'm going to try the wash away double sided tape, I think it would work better with a 90" zipper.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:03 PM

I've noticed there many varying methods for installing an invisible zipper; iron the zipper open, do not iron the zipper, use an invisible zipper foot , no need for an invisible zipper foot, and many more. I've ordered an invisible zipper foot and I plan on not ironing the zipper open. Since I'll be putting the zipper in an assembled duvet cover I'll not be able the lay the material out flat like I see in many of the tutorials and I'm not sure how to finish the two ends of the zipper. Is there a similar install I could search for? I thought a zippered pocket install would be similar but it's not. Any suggestions for the words I'd use in a search? Thanks.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:47 PM

Go to the Bernina USA website and if you look at all the feet there are videos that show how to use the specialty feet and different techniques.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Go to the Bernina USA website and if you look at all the feet there are videos that show how to use the specialty feet and different techniques.
That's a great resource, thanks. The tutorial is good and the images of the various feet helped me identify the feet I have.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:03 PM

There is one foot I can't find and two I think are zigzags. Would you know what the foot on the right is?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]503666[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 3-presser-feet.jpg