Bernina 730 Record

Old 05-11-2014, 04:42 PM

Default Bernina 730 Record

Picked this up on Sat. I bid on it via a local auction, so was crossing my fingers on the condition. It came in a table that although it needs new knobs, is a keeper. I spent all day repairing it (Happy Mother's Day to me). The foot control was smashed, so I had to rewire a replacement. The machine was kept in the table, but was literally black. So had to clean and oil it. Then I found a dreaded cracked cam stack gear and a part missing from the needle holder. Oddly, I had both parts! I don't have but a few Bernina parts and I had the two I needed. Must be fate. So, I replaced the gear and it took several hours to do it and get it retimed properly. Each time I replace this gear I get a little faster, so it's a good learning experience.

I've not had much time to sew on it other than stitch outs to get the embroidery features working properly, but it's a great machine. I think I should open a vintage Bernina museum now. I've lost track of all the models I have. I think 9 or 10 now?

Anyway, here's my newest herd addition and I'm going to enjoy using it. I especially like the flip up bobbin winder this model has.
Attached Thumbnails img_8762_2.jpeg   img_8763_2.jpeg   img_8764.jpeg   img_8765.jpeg   img_8766.jpeg  

Old 05-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Nice one! I think I have one Bernina Favorit lurking in the shop. It has something wrong with the stitch length - plastic inside or something. Bernina made some very nice tables!
Old 05-11-2014, 06:09 PM

I have a Favorit and I believe the only nylon is in a few gears?? Maybe you need to send it to me so I can give it some love:>
Old 05-11-2014, 06:19 PM

Candace, WOW, that thing looks PERFECTLY CLEAN!!!! What a great job you did. I am so impressed that you could do that, plus re-wiring, in an afternoon.

Miriam, your Favorit; is it green? The Green Berneens are so cool....
Old 05-11-2014, 06:55 PM

Candace, that machine knew you could do surgery on it and it would be fine. You guys are really impressive with all your knowledge of sewing machines. I love to read your notes to each other.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:16 PM

Candace, enjoy your new addition. Looks good. I am lucky to have my Mother's 830 Record. It is a worker and has many memories of all the beautiful things she made for me and others! I have newer machines, but that one will never leave my house!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
Candace, enjoy your new addition. Looks good. I am lucky to have my Mother's 830 Record. It is a worker and has many memories of all the beautiful things she made for me and others! I have newer machines, but that one will never leave my house!
I don' t blame you. I have 3 of the 830's! People keep asking me to sell one, but I just can't! I have had to put repair time into all of my 830's either replacing capacitors or cracked gears and I've just gotten attached.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
Candace, that machine knew you could do surgery on it and it would be fine. You guys are really impressive with all your knowledge of sewing machines. I love to read your notes to each other.

Yes, very weird that the parts needed were in my drawer. That almost never happens for me. Usually, I have to hunt for parts or at least place an internet order and wait for the mail man(impatiently).
Old 05-12-2014, 08:27 AM

You were supposed to have this machine, it must have known you would care for it.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM

I just love old Berninas....
My Mom has a 930 Record...and it has been very lovingly used a lot. She still uses it but doesn't sew like she used to...
The really good thing about it....it is listed in the will. That machine doesn't deserve to be abused by my sister....I have been instructed to get her a $99 Wally World Special.