Bernina 830 Record: Redux

Old 09-24-2014, 07:57 AM

I have my Mother's 830 Record. I can assure you that this machine has been worked harder than any I know of! It still works like a dream. Will always be my back-up. No way would I sell it for $135!!!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
I have my Mother's 830 Record. I can assure you that this machine has been worked harder than any I know of! It still works like a dream. Will always be my back-up. No way would I sell it for $135!!!
The "record" machines go for the highest prices in my area. It doesn't matter that they are vintage at all. I got my mom's 830 record too and it's so sweet to sew on. Other machines can hardly compare.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:09 AM

I haven't even pulled out the bernina's I got from my mom - think she proably tested them out when she got them (got great deals too) but I like easy to figure out stuff and have been challenged enough with the 'basic' Singers and a couple of zig zag Kenmores. I still haven't figured out much about my Babylock and I've had it since probably 2009 - I can do what I need/want to do but haven't been too adventurous- mainly from lack of time to play around with stuff. when I have time to sew I want to finish up quilts.

I would pay for fixing a machine i like - I don't think you'll be constantly fixing the Bernina - now the Pfaff I bought new in 2001 was a lemon from the get-go - it was constantly needing something and the needle arm assembly snapped on it when I'd barely had it a few weeks. I miss the IDF but it was to the point it was costing too much to keep fixing and it never sewed right except after a cleaning/tune-up and that would only last a few months then it would start messing up on the tension and not make good stitches

Last edited by quilt938; 09-25-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:20 AM

You all are making me kick myself even more for passing on a Bernina last year at Goodwill for $16. I think it might have been an 830. It was in the red case.
I've been eyeing that one for $40 but really don't have the money at the moment and I know Bernina parts and accessories get expensive quickly. Worth it in the end but it would be a while before I got there. Don't they use a different foot than most too?
Rodney
Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
You all are making me kick myself even more for passing on a Bernina last year at Goodwill for $16. I think it might have been an 830. It was in the red case.
I've been eyeing that one for $40 but really don't have the money at the moment and I know Bernina parts and accessories get expensive quickly. Worth it in the end but it would be a while before I got there. Don't they use a different foot than most too?
Rodney
Rodney get that $40 machine! Eat beans for a week!

Yes they have their own specialty feet, but that's one of the best things of owning a Bernina. The feet are solid metal and last a lifetime. Yes you can buy generics, but I always cringe at that because it's like throwing cheapo parts on a Rolls Royce.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:31 AM

When my cousin died in 2000 she willed her Bernina Record 930 to my wife. Wifie didn't use it for several years because she was using her Singer 538 she's had for many years. Then the 538 started so she dug out the Bernina and started using it.
That machine had not been serviced in 10 years or better and my wife used it for another 12 years before I got to cleaning it. Plastic gears or not the Bernina Records are exceptionally good machines.
My wife pieced and assembled a heavy weight denim / fleece quilt on that machine and it never whimpered.
If she had to leave every machine behind but one, I'm pretty sure she'd take the Bernina.

A $135.00 to repair, clean and tune an 830 Record is money well spent. Enjoy that machine.

Joe