Bernina belt whining

Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 AM

Default Bernina belt whining

Hi,
I'm working on a Bernina 807 that should make a nice Christmas gift for someone. I have cleaned, oiled, lubricated the poor dry thing and changed the motor brush (it seems like every single Bernina I have found was having worned brush...). It is now running good, but it is really noisy compared to the others of the same serie I have worked on (831 and 817). It`s a soft whinning coming from the belt. In fact, the handwheel and motor belts on this one are different. They seems to be genuine Bernina belt (there is "Bernina" printed on it) but it is the red (plastic?) kind one, not the black leather one. They may have been changed. Is it normal for this kind of belt to be noisier? If so, is it possible to order somewhere the leather kind one?
Thanks,
Annie
Old 12-03-2013, 08:56 AM

Is the belt a lug type belt? If so, I've been told this type of replacement on the Bernina can be noisier. However, I don't think it's supposed to be loud. It may need tension adjustment. I don't believe the v belt is that size is made anymore, but it's been a while since I had to get one.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:15 AM

Yes, it's a lug belt. I can't say it`s loud; it just that I'm used to hear nothing at all, so hearing any kind of friction seems noisy in comparison :-)
When I got my FW, there was a lug type belt on it and I hated it; I then put a V belt and I loved it. So I'm a V belt girl :-)
Can one lubricate a lug belt to make it smooter??? :-)
I'll check the tension, just to be sure. Better safe than sorry.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Don't put any lube on belts. If the lug belt is in good condition and the tension is good it may be something you have to live with. If you can find an old, new stock v belt that fits that model, then that would be the best thing. But, I don't have a source. You can haunt ebay for one. Until then you can just make do with the lug belt. The one time I had to use one, I did notice a squeak or rubbing type noise. I prefer the v belts too. Bernina belt sizes are not the typical sized belts and there's not a great selection available.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Don't put any lube on belts. If the lug belt is in good condition and the tension is good it may be something you have to live with. If you can find an old, new stock v belt that fits that model, then that would be the best thing. But, I don't have a source. You can haunt ebay for one. Until then you can just make do with the lug belt. The one time I had to use one, I did notice a squeak or rubbing type noise. I prefer the v belts too. Bernina belt sizes are not the typical sized belts and there's not a great selection available.
Thanks Candace. I was partly joking about putting lubricant on the belt; I don't know how it would help. "Rubbing" is a better word to describe the sound it makes. I must say the person who will get this one as a Christmas gift had never heard any Bernina in her life, so it may be perfectly ok for her. And compared to the rattle of a new low end plastic sewing machine made in China, it will for sure be better.

Oh, and this one was also having a leaking capacitor. Got it just on time. You have now two rescued Bernina on your count...
Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 PM

Cool..I like to hear that. I think I have 8 vintage Berninas and they are my favorites and those I'd grab first, if forced. But, finding parts can be a challenge. If it's a gift to someone it won't bother, all the better. If it were a keeper it may be worth the extra effort of trying to hunt down a specific v belt.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Cool..I like to hear that. I think I have 8 vintage Berninas and they are my favorites and those I'd grab first, if forced. But, finding parts can be a challenge. If it's a gift to someone it won't bother, all the better. If it were a keeper it may be worth the extra effort of trying to hunt down a specific v belt.
Oh, I will start the belt hunt, but for my beloved 831. If any of her belt need replacement one day, I want to have a v belt on hand!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:31 PM

If you ever find a source, please let me know. I'd probably get one or two..
Old 12-04-2013, 06:48 AM

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does this belt situation apply to the Bernina 930s too?

Joe
Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 AM

I've never had to replace a 930 belt so I don't know if they're available as v belts or lug belts. But, generally speaking lug belts can cause more noise. I've not sourced a 930 belt, so I'm not sure what type the replacements are.