Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Best Heavy Duty/Leather Machine >

Best Heavy Duty/Leather Machine

Best Heavy Duty/Leather Machine

Old 06-19-2016, 04:44 PM

Default Best Heavy Duty/Leather Machine

Hello all!

I'm seeking help and advice. I'm new to the VSM world. I currently have a featherweight I use to take to guild functions because mostly I use it for straight stitching and it's light weight. I also have a 99 that I need to clean and rewire, so no clue how well it works as of yet.

I make dog collars and am thinking about beginning to work with leather. I would like to find out what everyone's favorite heavy duty or leather machines are as I would like to invest in one. I'm not necessarily stuck to Singer but I do have two of them and probably know a bit more about them than amy other with the exception of more modern Husqvarnas.

I appreciate any help you can provide would be great. Thank you!

Angie
Old 06-19-2016, 08:37 PM

If you planning to do lots of leather work it would be best to use an industrial machine. House hold models aren't meant to handle heavy leather and do not have a walking foot to help move the leather. Singer 29 is a vintage industrial machine meant for working on leather. There are several models, the right model depends on your needs.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:15 PM

The Cowboy is probably the least expensive new heavy duty leather machine. All domestic machines are "domestic"... They are not made for sewing leather although some will sew through garment thickness leather and suede. But not often and certainly not daily for a small MFG. business, the motors are just too small. Kinda like taking a car four wheeling, you can do it but it isn't the right set up and you wouldn't want to do it every day or even every weekend for that matter. Link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQ-4Skr2IE
Originally Posted by Sauki1 View Post
Hello all!

I'm seeking help and advice. I'm new to the VSM world. I currently have a featherweight I use to take to guild functions because mostly I use it for straight stitching and it's light weight. I also have a 99 that I need to clean and rewire, so no clue how well it works as of yet.

I make dog collars and am thinking about beginning to work with leather. I would like to find out what everyone's favorite heavy duty or leather machines are as I would like to invest in one. I'm not necessarily stuck to Singer but I do have two of them and probably know a bit more about them than amy other with the exception of more modern Husqvarnas.

I appreciate any help you can provide would be great. Thank you!

Angie
Old 06-20-2016, 09:04 AM

My neighbors have done leather repair as a business for decades..they are in their late 60's now. She uses the old Singer treadles ...he uses Chandler electric machines. Between them they must have 10 machines set up in their sewing room for different projects/applications. If you have more detailed questions, I'd be happy to ask them for you, but as for machines, that's what they use. BTW...the Chandlers are all over ebay, I look for them occasionally as they are not internet users and sometimes need a part.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:32 PM
Banned

Please do not try to make a domestic machine do this job. IT will for a while if you buy an ol all metal one, but neither you nor the machine will be happy long.

As suggested before you want an industrial. a walking foot machine is VERY much preferred. The 29 is a great machine, as are the #7 series. But industrial machine are usually a fair bit more expensive.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:39 PM

Here is an example of a Singer 29-4 machine I'm in the process of rebuilding. There are many variants of the 29 machine, this one dates to 1916. You'll note it is considerably more robust than a typical domestic machine.
Attached Thumbnails patch2.jpg