Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Score and Decisions to Make 221

Big Score and Decisions to Make 221

Well folks, believe it or not a bought my first 221 today...and I've got a lot of machines. I was able to get it for 1/2 off on a moving sale for 25.00...I know...had to drive into the heart of darkness in the Pine Barrens to get it.

It needs some minor restoration but here are some before and after pictures:

First two uncleaned out of the sale, third beginning process of restoring/cleaning. Will need some new black paint and minor French Polishing to restore to 95%.

The question is whether after fully restoring it is it worth investing in:

A "new" Singer motor (original) --it has a replacement motor-- and black case for it. I have the foot pedal and some accessories.

Thanks for your opinions.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Beautiful!!! Great find!!! Wish they could be found here for that price!!!!!!!!

My 2 cents is to give it a quick cleaning and tune-up and flip it. Nice find.

Jon
    Last edited by jlhmnj; 01-13-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Don't flip it. Keep it! What a find.

If you are not going to use it, I would just get a new belt, clean it up and not worry about the case at all. If you really intend to sell it why put much into? You can triple your money and someone will want it to use and take to classes and sewing weekends, so chances will never use the case or if they want it let the new owner buy it. Just be honest if the motor does need to be replaced.

Good advice so far...but I may keep it for awhile. The issue is that the motor is not original to the machine so I may replace it with an original Singer Motor to restore it to factory specs.

personally, I would use this rather than make it part of a collection. And since I would use it, a non-singer motor would probably be stronger. I have swapped out a couple of my singers for the alpha-sew 1.5 amp motor, just to have a little more power.
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

Dan,

I've had several ladies here asking me if I had a Feather Weight for sale. One of them is really wanting one bad.
    Personally I wouldn't do any more to than oil and grease it, then use it. Or sell it.

Joe

Blog Entries
    what year is it? Really looking for one made in 1949 and one made in 1954.

Looking at the decals its from the mid- 1950s. It looks good to me. I have 4 Singer 221 featherweights that I use frequently.
    Sharon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast