Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Black crinkle painted Singer 66, hard luck story. >
  • Black crinkle painted Singer 66, hard luck story.

• Black crinkle painted Singer 66, hard luck story.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 AM

Well, I got the new thread take-up lever in yesterday afternoon. Did a bunch of cleaning and oiling. He was dry dry dry.
    Then started on the motor. I had to do some fitting to the insides where it was broken and didn't go back together quite right but that was pretty easy. Once assembled there seemed to be too much end play in the shaft but I had nothing to use as a shim so I put it together. Surprising to me the motor went together and actually stayed together as I put the snap rings on each end.
    Then I re-wired the foot controller and outlet cord, the old cord was in terrible shape. Put it together and ............
    darned if it didn't work. It made a lot of noise, it hums a lot now, I'm thinking the brushes didn't go back in the same way they came out so they'll need to re seat.
    So at 1:30 this morning I'm down in the basement sewing circles with bright red thread on some denim scraps with Mr. Crinkle. That motor sounds like ....... well really bad, and I'm sure I'll be replacing it sometime soon. But now I know the machine not only runs, but sews as well.

Joe
    Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM
    Power Poster

congrats - it is a good feeling when you win one.
    Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 AM

Great job Joe! I am sure I will be learning alot from your informative posts.
    Old 02-14-2012, 10:52 AM

miriam, you are right. I just wanted my LQS to sell me one from a trashed machine for less, but he doesn't believe in using anything but new. It's a machine from the early 50s, for heaven's sake. It hardly needs new. I know ebay will be more because I already looked for a foot. I haven't worried about a light yet. This one needs some tension work - the spring isn't in the right place. I think I did that in storage because it fine when it arrived. I don't need the machine unless I decide not to buy the 15 clone. I just don't like things around not in working order, nor would I sell it that way. Besides, this is the one with the Art Deco turquoise trim. It may be too pretty to sell.
    Old 07-28-2019, 11:07 PM

Default Singer 66 blackside-smooth finish

Not sure if anyone could help me. I purchased a singer 66 in the original cabinet. The serial #AG254226 on December 16, 1941 in Elizabethport, New Jersey. She is a Blackside, but not a crinkle finish. I have not been able to find any information. She has many blackside parts-bobbin cover,pressure foot switch, front plate, thread spool holders and screws. Her electrical cords are dry and splitting so I will be replacing them. I will be using her to piece and quilt. I love her stitching (tested before I purchased). Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Carolyn
    Old 07-29-2019, 09:05 AM

We can likely hlep.. Many of us have 66s, but I don't know what you want to know.
    Welcome aboard.
    Old 05-23-2020, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Carolyn Ketcc
    Not sure if anyone could help me. I purchased a singer 66 in the original cabinet. The serial #AG254226 on December 16, 1941 in Elizabethport, New Jersey. She is a Blackside, but not a crinkle finish. I have not been able to find any information. She has many blackside parts-bobbin cover,pressure foot switch, front plate, thread spool holders and screws. Her electrical cords are dry and splitting so I will be replacing them. I will be using her to piece and quilt. I love her stitching (tested before I purchased). Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Carolyn
    This reply is late, but I"m new here, and you may have seen this information before:

https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/blackside/