Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody ever painted a hard plastic sewing machine? >

Anybody ever painted a hard plastic sewing machine?

Anybody ever painted a hard plastic sewing machine?

Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 AM
ccb

Default Anybody ever painted a hard plastic sewing machine?

My white Brother - about 20 years old - has yellowed (as plastic does) and just looks dirty.
As this is the one I drag to classes, I think it needs to be gussied up a little.
I have used the Krylon spray paint for plastic with great results but I am a little chicken.
Thank you!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I would check with the head guy in the paint dept at any hardware store. They are the ones I always search out for when I have questions like yours. You might even try calling customer service at Krylon. Good Luck !
Old 03-26-2015, 09:22 AM

I think I remember someone here painting a machine a light lilac color. I think I her husband had sort of made her a homemade long arm, and the lilac sewing machine was the finishing touch. Sort of a vague memory though. Not sure how to do a search and find that.

Dina
Old 03-26-2015, 10:12 AM

I would go for it. Maybe test on the bottom first to see how it holds up. If you paint it, please post pictures, I would love to see the results - before and after.

Best of luck!
Old 03-26-2015, 01:47 PM

There are numerous articles on the internet about how to whiten yellowed plastic. Why not check some of those out before you resort to paint. Most use bleach or hydrogen peroxide and sunlight to de-yellow.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

If you don't have any decals try a little Dawn dish soap on one of those Magic Erasers. Smear a little on the machine with the eraser or your finger and let it sit a little. You could also spray some window cleaner on a rag and dab the machine with it and let it sit. Then spray it lightly and wipe down. If you see it drip a little color you know it's doing it's job. Often just the damp eraser itself will work. The dirt on the machine is usually just body oil.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:56 PM

One of the Saturday morning crafting shows has hosted a woman who has a machine covered with flowers. They look like appliques.

Clare Rowley of Creative Feet is the one who paints sewing machines. She sells a DVD showing how. Personally, I would find it distracting to sew with one, but they are works of art, and still work as sewing machines.

Last edited by elnan; 03-26-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:58 PM

You know what?? Try setting it out in the sun for awhile. The lid to my Janome yellowed, and when I called the company they told me to set it out in the sun for a few hours. Worked wonders - went right back to white! Might be worth a try!!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

a magic eraser by mr Clean may work on it. but if it's really old, painting may be a good idea. i'm sure there are paints out there for plastic. craft stores may have some.
sunshine? really? wonders never cease.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

if it peels, try stickers or paint it with flowers. be creative. did you see a few yrs back, a lady re did hers in buttons.