Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody ever painted a hard plastic sewing machine? >

Anybody ever painted a hard plastic sewing machine?

Anybody ever painted a hard plastic sewing machine?

Old 03-26-2015, 03:34 PM

Or put some sweet decals on it!
https://www.urbanelementz.com/shop/category/decals/
Old 03-26-2015, 05:01 PM

there is spray paint for plastic. same shelf as the spray paint for metal and everything else.
I used it a lot when I was red hatting, we painted a gazillion plastic things. Go for it.

I have gorgeous rhinestones on my 6600 Janome machine and on my mocha singer 401 I found some lovely tea colored rhinestones. Card making isle is where I found them.

I've never understood why machines computers office equipment has to be black or putty or what....with a million colors in the rainbow and obviously plastic can be made in any color.
Attached Thumbnails blinged-sewing-machine.jpg  
Old 03-26-2015, 08:48 PM

no but claire rowley does it all the time and has a video for sale on how to do it
Old 03-27-2015, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
If you don't have any decals try a little Dawn dish soap on one of those Magic Erasers. Smear a little on the machine with the eraser or your finger and let it sit a little. You could also spray some window cleaner on a rag and dab the machine with it and let it sit. Then spray it lightly and wipe down. If you see it drip a little color you know it's doing it's job. Often just the damp eraser itself will work. The dirt on the machine is usually just body oil.
Yellowing plastic is not caused by surface dirt or body oils, it's a chemical reaction to light and can be easily 'cured'.
http://www.exisle.net/mb/index.php?/...ent-after-all/
Old 03-27-2015, 04:38 AM

I think if you're wanting it to go back white I would try the methods in the link ghostrider provided. If you're wanting to paint it a different color I say go for it! I've used the Krylon fusion paint for plastic before and had great success. Some of the decals I've seen look nice too but I wonder about their longevity with the heat of a machine that's used a lot. I have often wondered myself why the machine's don't come in different colors or at the least with a matte finish.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:05 AM

You can chalk paint it, no prepping, Annie Sloan paints.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
there is spray paint for plastic. same shelf as the spray paint for metal and everything else.
I used it a lot when I was red hatting, we painted a gazillion plastic things. Go for it.

I have gorgeous rhinestones on my 6600 Janome machine and on my mocha singer 401 I found some lovely tea colored rhinestones. Card making isle is where I found them.

I've never understood why machines computers office equipment has to be black or putty or what....with a million colors in the rainbow and obviously plastic can be made in any color.
So Fun, I would do it in a heartbeat, but afraid I would make a mistake and couldn't correct it, just call me kelly catious.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:00 AM

Thank you for the link ghostrider. I've saved it for future use.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:10 AM

Prepping before painting is probably the most important step. Ask at Home Depot or Lowes, the best way to prep and then the best paint to use. Then go for it!! Sounds fun!!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 AM

I know when they paint the little metal Featherweight, they strip them of all mechanical parts first (remove anything that moves) in preparation of painting. Not sure if you will be going that far but do you know how to put it back together? Make sure you tape off anything that actually moves or that you do not want painted.