Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bobbin threading on Singer 201 >

Bobbin threading on Singer 201

Bobbin threading on Singer 201

Old 09-18-2014, 05:30 AM

Default Bobbin threading on Singer 201

I was very happy to find a 201 and wanted to get it all set before posting, but I think I'm doing something wrong with the bobbin. I put it in according to instructions and put the thread in the slot to the left, then bring it forward through the slot. At this point, if I pull the thread, the bobbin turns freely clockwise.

As soon as I bring down the needle and pull the bobbin thread up, it goes across over the top of the bobbin and is very tight. I have the top tension all the way to 9 and the bottom stitch is still straighter than the top.

Help?

Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 05:50 AM

When the bobbin thread is threaded through the bobbin tension and you pull on the thread, the bobbin should rotate counter clockwise, not clockwise.

Your thread is not following the proper thread path through the tension slots and spring, and is binding at the end of the tension spring.
When threading the bobbin case the thread goes into the slot just next to the thread and comes out the angled slot just above that. When this happens the thread makes a right angle turn and will stay in the groves as the bobbin rotates counter clockwise.

Another thing is you should snip off the tail of thread coming out of the hole in the bobbin. That tail can cause troubles.

Joe
Old 09-18-2014, 06:51 AM

What Joe said.
Rodney
Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Your thread is not following the proper thread path through the tension slots and spring, and is binding at the end of the tension spring.
When threading the bobbin case the thread goes into the slot just next to the thread and comes out the angled slot just above that. When this happens the thread makes a right angle turn and will stay in the groves as the bobbin rotates counter clockwise.
Joe
Thanks, Joe. Sorry to be slow, but can you please explain "the thread goes into the slot just next to the thread"? Let's say the top of the bobbin case closest to the back of the machine is midnight and I've been going into the slot at nine o'clock (middle left) and coming out around seven. Where is the slot I should be using to start? Thank you!!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:05 PM

when you place the bobbin into the machine the thread should be facing clockwise. Then take the thread back to you and hook it into the little slot in the machine. Hold on to the top thread and rotate the wheel. The top thread will grab the bobbin thread and pull it up.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Looks like I was wrong again. Sorry about that. The 201s vs the 66/99s and the 15-91s vs the older 15s and clones always throw me for a loop.
You're best bet would be to go to the Singer site and download yourself a manual.
{ http://www.singerco.com/accessories/instruction-manuals }

However for now here is a couple pics on how to load and thread the 201 bobbin:

Hope this helps some.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails 201-bobbin-threading-.jpg   201-bobbin-threading.jpg