Bought 11 from fred today.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:15 AM
Banned

Yeah, I kinda thought the gear would be broke. I know of a few people who have machines like this, some still work but it's just a matter of time. There are replacements for some of the plastic gears, but I don't think it's worth the hassle or the cost. If there was sentimental value, maybe. If my moms' Brother had a plastic gear I would have fixed it, luckily it doesn't. That's why I've kept my collection so far to the 50s and early 60s Brother machines mostly, I like to use my machines not just look at them. I also want to add some of the Brother badged machines. I'll never get them all, but there's a few I'd really like to have.

Cari
Old 01-15-2015, 12:11 PM

I know there blurry believe it or not The 1st one has Brother on it. The 2nd sure looks like one.

cosmetically there both good .

I did read the broken gear is cheap , but takes a bit to install.

some one ask about Fred, well he wouldn't set a price until we were in the trailer. and Then he dove right in carrying machines out. To the point that we opened the front door use a 2x6 the slide out machines.
The sun was shinning so very warm day, He was having a good time shooting BS.. wife died in 92. He really did have a very nice setup for her play room.. I believe he likes the idea that her toys will be back in use or atleast knowing someone else will get some joy out of those.

He was a little sad about getting rid of the old ones, in keeping these he/they had the electric motors in mind, rather than the machines.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506238[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]506240[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0349.jpg   100_0351.jpg  
Old 01-15-2015, 05:11 PM

What a haul!! You just scored yourself some great machinery. I have a Brother Streamliner that is the same as the last Brother picture you posted but mine is turquoise and cream rather than the deep metallic gray/blue and cream that you have. (I think yours looks better.) And I have a Universal that's very similar to the pink one but it's also turquoise. Wow, you have some really amazing machines.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
I know there blurry believe it or not The 1st one has Brother on it. The 2nd sure looks like one.

cosmetically there both good .

I did read the broken gear is cheap , but takes a bit to install.

some one ask about Fred, well he wouldn't set a price until we were in the trailer. and Then he dove right in carrying machines out. To the point that we opened the front door use a 2x6 the slide out machines.
The sun was shinning so very warm day, He was having a good time shooting BS.. wife died in 92. He really did have a very nice setup for her play room.. I believe he likes the idea that her toys will be back in use or atleast knowing someone else will get some joy out of those.

He was a little sad about getting rid of the old ones, in keeping these he/they had the electric motors in mind, rather than the machines.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506238[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]506240[/ATTACH]
Those two are nice too. I'd like to have a Brother like that one. The Universal is very cool too. If the knobs on the Universal are plastic you might want to be gentle with them. Lately I've been seeing more of these old machines with knobs broken from age.

Cari
Old 01-15-2015, 07:11 PM

What state are these located in? Where is it, that is so wet?

I am so glad you are rescuing these. So sad to see how they have weathered.

Ethel
Old 01-15-2015, 08:13 PM

Those are some great machines! Any one of them would make for a good day of hunting to me. That little Kenmore looks like a toy next to your hand. I'm glad to see Fred is ok with letting some go. That trailer is doing it's best to become one with the earth again. Another couple years and there won't be nearly as many machines worth saving in there.
Rodney
Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 PM

good for you....what a find and what a rescue.................
Old 01-15-2015, 09:12 PM

Rodney I told him straight up. about 3 years there history. one cabinet ( full size) has fallen over and knocked a wall down. from the looks of things that was 10 years ago.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:51 AM

All I can say is "OMG!" Is this someone you know? I don't think anyone would suspect that the place is full of machines. How many more do you think he has???
Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 AM

yes he's a guy I know. His son said around a 100 were in there , I've taken around 20 so far. It's what is not there now that gets me. There was well over twice this many when I first saw them. Whats gone is the type steve shows pic's of.

the coral pink Brother is now working fine, no broken anything LOL.