Bought 11 from fred today.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:26 PM
Banned

Great that you got that Festival working. Didn't you say one of the sons did some clean up years ago? He may have gotten rid of the machines he thought were worth more, or maybe some have been moved to the 'off limits' place if they were the mothers favorites.

Cari
Old 01-17-2015, 01:48 PM

Fred says he did the clean up. I bet one son and Fred did it. Fred says the just lifted the whole truck up and hauled that off. from the barn chicken coop moved machines with motors to the trailer. he doesn't know of treadles in that old house, son says there is 3 in there. so far in the 1000's of bobbins. I have found only one that would fit a FW
Old 01-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Banned

Thousands of bobbins? Not surprising considering how many machines are there. if they're any good get them, it's getting hard to get good metal 15 class bobbins. one more of the "they don't make 'em like they used to" things.

Cari
Old 01-17-2015, 03:05 PM

I'm sure I have at least 50 bobbins, I pick from there. of all kinds. an odd one to me.

It's a 66 bobbin, one side has holes like a class 15. should see the attachments. kinda in fear of asking how much on those. He remembers they bought many at $5 a piece thats button holers There must be 15 on one shelf plus whats just laying around. so far I found a box of who knows what filled with old time type attachment. most every little plastic and cardboard box is half full of some kind of SM goodie.

I'll do one more trip, then wait until mud season is over
Old 01-17-2015, 04:40 PM

I'm not sure if what you're doing counts as fun or sad. It's always hard, at least for me, to see what becomes of people and their stuff as they get older and their health fails. On the other hand Fred is letting you do at least some of what needs to be done to preserve what's left. Far better that someone who cares about the machines gets in there than a scrapper.
Grab every bobbin he's willing to let leave. The new ones don't fit old machines as well as the vintage ones do. I know for a fact the width at the outer rim on new class 66 bobbins is smaller than on the vintage ones. You're lucky if they will fit vintage bobbin winders correctly.
Rodney
Old 01-17-2015, 05:02 PM
ro
Banned

i have not seen an answer about what happened to the trailer/& fred. xxxxx what are you goin to do w/all of these machines sell em?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:50 PM

nothing has happen to fred or the trailer,, no there not going to be sold. what I have , thats a great question. I'm sure there won't be a problem finding an answer , first is buy more oil

Freds 87 he has a ear;y 50's caregiver,, some fancy 4x4 ford and a newer convertible Mustang with a V8.. a day ago the sun was out and he and her where off and gone with the top down.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
Freds 87 he has a ear;y 50's caregiver,, some fancy 4x4 ford and a newer convertible Mustang with a V8.. a day ago the sun was out and he and her where off and gone with the top down.
LOL -- but can she sew?
Old 01-17-2015, 08:35 PM

I just met her yesterday, I don't know if she sews, she did like seeing all the old machines. I guess shes there 3 days a week for years now. maybe he'll open the old house and look for machines in there. my guess that house doesn't even have a trail in inside.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
He's obviously enjoying his golden years, good for him!

Cari