Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Calling All Free Motion Quilters! >

Calling All Free Motion Quilters!

Calling All Free Motion Quilters!

Old 11-13-2015, 05:02 PM

Default Calling All Free Motion Quilters!

I've been free motion quilting on a Singer 201-2. It is truly beautiful. The tension on this machine is perfect, the mid-century Art Deco cabinet surface is smooth, slick and makes it so easy to move the quilt. I added a Bright Light, so the lighting is superb and just where I need it at the needle. There is only one problem--speed control.

The machine speed goes from off to medium-fast (for fmq) speed with no in between. I have installed an electronic pedal which made it easier to hold the speed steady, but it did not help with the speed itself or quick transition from off to medium-fast.

Im looking for other vintage machine quilters input to see how you have overcome this handicap.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

So the top speed is perfect? If you want to limit how fast you can go, try putting a stopper on how far you can press the foot pedal. I used a little block of wood on my older model Singer pedal.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sheddah View Post
I've been free motion quilting on a Singer 201-2. It is truly beautiful. The tension on this machine is perfect, the mid-century Art Deco cabinet surface is smooth, slick and makes it so easy to move the quilt. I added a Bright Light, so the lighting is superb and just where I need it at the needle. There is only one problem--speed control.

The machine speed goes from off to medium-fast (for fmq) speed with no in between. I have installed an electronic pedal which made it easier to hold the speed steady, but it did not help with the speed itself or quick transition from off to medium-fast.

Im looking for other vintage machine quilters input to see how you have overcome this handicap.
Since you have replaced the controller which is usually the culprit in a situation like this, the next step is a thorough cleaning and oiling of the whole machine. Something is gummed up or dry somewhere and the machine can't overcome it until it's been given more power than it should take to start it.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 11-13-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:53 AM

Hmmm....well it has been cleaned and oiled. My explanation probably wasn't clear. The machine runs fine on straight stitch. I can stitch at a slower speed, medium and fast. But I guess with free motion quilting and I need to go even slower and at a steady pace, and the fine speed control is just not there. I really thought the electronic controller would solve that problem. However, the differences I see with it is that it's easier to hold the speed once you get where you want to be, and the machine stops on a dime. Perhaps I'm trying to teach an old dog new tricks (both of us ;-) and we just can't do it together.