Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A minor cat tastrophe in the sewing room >

A minor cat tastrophe in the sewing room

A minor cat tastrophe in the sewing room

Old 11-11-2015, 08:19 AM

Default A minor cat tastrophe in the sewing room

We had a minor cat tastrophe in the sewing room a bit ago . Kinda funny after the fact .
I have a plastic box with dividers that holds all my extra bobbins. Several hundred of them. All kinds that used to be nicely organized.

Well it was sitting on the sewing table, open cos I was digging out a filled bobbin to test a machine with, and the leg that holds the table leaf up got pushed aside. The table leaf collapsed .......

KAA RASH ....... that open box with hundreds of bobbins hit the floor. What a mess.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535455[/ATTACH]
Sydnie and Ambrosia came to help pick up the mess.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535456[/ATTACH]
Sydnie likes to play with Class 66 plastic bobbins while

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535457[/ATTACH]
Ambrosia likes White/Kenmore bobbins.

So now I have to resort and reorganize this mess. There has to be a better way to store a variety of vintage bobbins.

How do those of you hoard ..... 'er I mean keep a supply of bobbins store them?

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_6345.jpg   img_6346.jpg   img_6347.jpg  
Old 11-11-2015, 08:28 AM

ziplock bags - at least then if the whole thing falls, my bobbins stay "sorted". I have a vintage sewing case that I keep them in, it's about the size of a FW case. So I just toss the new ones in until I have time to sort them and put them in the correct bags.

Some day I may be more organized . . . but probably not!

I have on snot of a cat that will carefully jump up and remove a bobbin from my sewing worktable and then drop it on the floor to play with. He likes the metal 15 bobbins, and prefers ones with thread on them. Then he pushes them around until he can get them to go down the stairs.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:35 AM

*** Cute kitties. They are very helpful, I can tell from the pics.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:41 AM

There are various flat boxes with compartments, each for a bobbin. Some are hard crystal clear plastic, some are transparent more flexible plastic. I might have to think of something clever too. I have an old table after my grand mother, it has a drawer for thread spools and small compartments. My Singer 201 is in a table with a narrow drawer on the side, I keep a few bits and bobs there. If you have several hundred bobbins the only sesible thing seems to be those flat plastic organizers with lids, and you can stack those in the box you already have. Maybe those shelf like tings with pins, if you have wall space and a separate sewing room.

The options; a bobbin tower, wall organizer, box with lid, The Bobbin Saver, but I'm not sure how practical it is to have those rings lying about. Theres are drawers with organizer inners, a bit like office furniture for hobby and sewing.

With all the clever organizers I still make a mess of it, I have to clean up all the time after I have done something.

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-11-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Ziplocs and I have magnetic blue wand I got at JoAnn's. Great for picking up those metal objects.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Looks like the cats had an entertaining day!!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:38 AM

those weekly day of the week pill boxes. different color, sizes. lol they all fit into a tupperware. plus you can have one open while other parts are closed. lol
Old 11-11-2015, 09:46 AM

Too cute! They must have thought you bought them new toys.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:15 PM

Love the kitties they are always so helpful even when you don't need help! I don't have that many bobbins, what I do have stay with each machine for the most part. The other odd ones go into baggies and labeled.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:41 PM

All of the machines we use regularly have their own bobbins. A minimum of 5 and sometimes more. Some of the odd ball bobbins are in zip lock bags, some in old 35 mm film canisters and some in little plastic boxes made for bobbins.

I'm thinking of looking for a storage drawer unit. One big enough to segregate all of the different bobbins. I just hope to find one I can afford.

Joe