Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Carbon Foot Print - People-powered SMs >

Carbon Foot Print - People-powered SMs

Carbon Foot Print - People-powered SMs

Old 08-02-2014, 06:21 PM

ha,ha. Thayer. I've read and re-read this and it's late at night and I'm just laughing. I can see you sprawling all over the place. I guess it's not funny, but..........Barny
Old 08-03-2014, 04:21 AM

Rest assured that I am quite alright and not injured. My post was written tongue-in-cheek, with a generous amount of embellishment added, and certainly intended to be nothing more than humorous.

I hope everyone gets a chuckle out it. We need more chuckles.

Nice limerick Miriam. We need to get back into writing those.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-03-2014, 04:25 AM

Glad you're okay!
Old 08-03-2014, 05:35 AM

Hope you are ok.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:10 AM

I did almost the same thing - while I was making apple crisp. Went to get something out of the cupboard and wasn't looking down - to where I set the new White 670 yesterday. Luckily the machine sustained no damage, and my foot is OK too - the machine has been moved to a safer location!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:40 AM

sewing machinist * 1 *. sewing machinist clutz * 10 *. glad you are ok
Old 08-03-2014, 12:42 PM

CD,
I hope you're okay. I kinda did the same thing last night.

I was walking to my car after picking up a few groceries and took a tumble in the parking lot. I tripped over one of those concrete thingies that stop cars from going into the space in front of them.
I scraped up both knees and sprained my right wrist too. 4 "angels" came to my rescue and helped me to my feet so I could get into my SUV. Store employees bandaged my knees and sent me home, after I assured them that nothing was broken.
When I woke up this morning, my knees told me to never do that again.
Sharon in Texas

Last edited by purplefiend; 08-03-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added text
Old 08-03-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
...I scraped up both knees and sprained my right wrist...
Sharon in Texas
I’m only 60+, but for the past few years, it seems like I’ve been ricocheting off of things on a regular basis, especially our hallway walls. Walking is not my strongest suit now. I’ve learned that I’m getting lazy about picking my feet up when I walk, almost to the point of dragging them along the floor like when dancing a two-step. I don’t really realize it, but I do it. If there’s a fly speck on the floor, I’ll probably trip over it.

Having too many machines in a small living area can cause one to trip over a portable machine, and I realize that, but it seems like I’m misjudging even small heights as well. I can stumble on the sidewalk downtown, look back, and see something as small as an eighth of an inch caused the blunder. I’ve about quit stepping over wheel chocks in parking lots. I go around now, since I can’t seem to get my feet up high enough to clear them. They’ll still go high enough and then some, but it seems like my brain doesn’t tell them to do so when they need to.

Walking around in the backyard with the clumps of vegetation caused by the 4-year draught is a real trip. And I do mean “trip”! Lucky for me, I don’t fall hard. My wife is constantly amazed at my knack of taking a tumble and coming up laughing. She usually comes up bloody or sore when she falls. I have an extra vertebrae in my back, so I used to have minor back problems when I was working highlines. It seemed like a good tumble once in a while sort of “cracked” things back into position for the good. I called them a f__t-knocker, and looked forward to them. It’s not that I took a tumble on purpose, but when working outside in a variety of uneven settings, you’re going to take a tumble every now and then.

I hope your knees and sprain heal up fast.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-03-2014, 05:40 PM

This was a LOL post. I do love when we sewers turn loose and laugh a little. Thanks for starting it Thayer.....
Old 08-03-2014, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Always trying to be eco-friendly by using my vintage people-powered sewing machines, I was looking behind me as I walked, to see how my carbon foot-print was looking, and tripped over a handcrank sewing machine setting on the floor.
So... our little addiction can be unhealthy after all. One could say that if you had more there would be less of a problem (paraphrasing a certain lobby group for that logic), because you'd have expected the machine to be there