Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cleaning/paint ? the metal stand

Blog Entries

Cleaning/paint ? the metal stand

I have an old Singer treadle machine ,the metal frame is a bit rusty what would be the best way to clean it and revitalise the frame.
    Thankyou for any suggestions.

Blog Entries
    I scrubbed my frame and then painted it with stove blacking paint they use on wood burners..looks like brand new. fairly easy to paint with a foam brush
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

If you could get it sandblasted, that is the best way to do it. Then I would spray paint it semigloss black. I have one that my husband made an oak top for. Then my daughter had to have one like Mom's, so that was her Christmas present last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna in Mo View Post
    If you could get it sandblasted, that is the best way to do it. Then I would spray paint it semigloss black. I have one that my husband made an oak top for. Then my daughter had to have one like Mom's, so that was her Christmas present last year.

My dad has 110 old antique/vintage machines...most of them are treadles...

He gets all his sandblasted. I can't remember how it gets painted...
    "Some people have bunches of WIPs (works in progress) and UFOs (unfinished objects)....I prefer to think of them as PhDs (Projects Half Done)!!" ~Elena Boen
    "Just keep in mind that your function here is to have fun and not to be someone else's interior decorator! So ... go forth and have fun!" ~Krystyna
    I cannot count my day complete 'til needle, thread and fabric meet.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR View Post
    I scrubbed my frame and then painted it with stove blacking paint they use on wood burners..looks like brand new. fairly easy to paint with a foam brush
    This is what I did. I am really happy with it.

I scrubbed mine with fine steel wool, soapy water and a toothbrush. Then painted it with Rustoleum black appliance paint, and it turned out beautifully. Took me longer to disassemble the parts than anything else.