Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Collecting tips to make this Singer 28K run >

Collecting tips to make this Singer 28K run

Collecting tips to make this Singer 28K run

Old 12-07-2013, 01:02 PM

Default Collecting tips to make this Singer 28K run

This machine has been many years at my family's attic. I learnt its story today.

It belonged to an ambulant taylor that carried it on his head from house to house, sun, rain or snow. In the 30's he married my great aunt but died shortly afterwards. The widow started a notions store and called her niece (my own aunt and godmother) to keep her company. So through her hands it came to mine.

Before I mess it up while trying to fix the machine, I've done some research. It is a Singer with serial number Y-1923923: thanks to this forum I came to the website with the database so that I now know it is a model 28 K produced in 1924.

I couldn't find any part that I could identify as bobbin winder. Could it have been removed? One of the metal plates is also missing. The hand wheel moves smoothly and so do the presser and needle bars, despise dirt and spiderwebs, but most parts show rust, including the shuttles. And I think the decals are beyond repair.

Do you know if replacement parts are easy to find, and whether they are expensive? And what about long bobbins? The first steps are to clean it with machine oil and lubricate the moving parts, right?

Some pics:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450441[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450442[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450443[/ATTACH]

By the way, I named her Veva after my great aunt.
Attached Thumbnails maq-antigua-4.jpg   maq-antigua-6.jpg   maq-antigua-7.jpg  
Old 12-07-2013, 01:32 PM

Hang onto that machine and don't let it out of your site, while I do some more research on it....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

I am working on one, too. Here is a picture of it when I found it:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450461[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sphinx-001.jpg  
Old 12-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I am working on one, too. Here is a picture of it when I found it:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450461[/ATTACH]
I am not as handy with the arrows as you are but mine has a very sprung out tension spring and is missing the shuttle, the slide plate and has really bad finish.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:04 PM

I believe that Veva is a Singer 28K9. It is missing the “belt guard” (not really necessary on a HC, but that’s what they called it) that had the bobbin winder mounted on it. You simply need to reattach a replacement belt guard of that type on Veva. The later 28 machines had that type of bobbin winder instead of a lug at the front base of the pillar for a low-mounting BW. By 1924, the 28 was well along at being replaced with the model 128, which had a high bobbin winder. Portions of my information came from needlebar.org, and should be credited to that group.

A sample of a high BW circa 1906 Model 28 is shown in the photo. If you look real close, you can see the remnants of the low BW lug on the front of my machine. My machine has been “electrified”, or “rebuilt” to update it from an old 06 machine to a more modern, 1940s-looking machine. I don’t think that Veva ever had a low lug to grind off. You’ll need to find a belt guard with bobbin winder from a 28 or 128 for her like the one shown in the photo.

Nice handcrank machine, and don’t worry about the lack of decals (which appear to have been the Victorian Decals, a very common decal for the model 28). Instead, think of the number of times that the machine was lifted up on and back down from the tailor’s head, and the handling that it must have endured being a machine on the go such as it was. She is so traveled! My decals would be a little worn as well, if I had been where she’s been, don’t you think? What great history for a machine!

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine233_01.jpg  
Old 12-07-2013, 02:07 PM

Wow, Miriam, yours is even rustier than mine! And missing the same plate, by the way. But the decals are in better shape.

Thanks, CD! I don't want it to look brand new, just curious to know if it would be able to sew again, and an aprox idea of how much it would cost. My aunt says it was a very good machine in her time.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I began by cleaning according to Muv's info and Glenn's tutorial:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html
Muv has many videos and she has a web page with lots of info on using the old machines.

Glenn is a genus with the old machines and repairing their condition. He has been coaching me through my Singer 27. Here are some links for more info: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t193635.html
and
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t235747.html
I will post some more pictures of the progress I have made on my machine and you can post yours here as you go along. I am using another machine in bad shape to supply parts for my machine. The parts it is missing seem to be different parts than the other one is missing so I am in good shape. You may be able to order a tension spring, bobbins and rubber parts locally some where. You will need a bobbin winder from another machine though.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Yes the decals are pretty good - the finish on the machine feels like sand paper though - I don't know how much I will lose as I go along. Mine will be a very nice machine when it is done as will yours if you follow Glenn's advice. [ATTACH=CONFIG]450465[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450466[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sphinx-002.jpg   sphinx-007.jpg  
Old 12-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

I pulled some of the parts off the machine and soaked them in 2 cups of vinegar and 1 Tablespoon of salt overnight - it is smelly so put them in something that contains the smell. Then I wiped and scrubbed them off and oiled them so they won't rust again. I found some brand new pressure feet, bobbins, a new bobbin winder tire and a tension spring on internet. I have tension parts and a shuttle from another machine. I still need a slide plate. Mine will be powered by a steering wheel spinner.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450467[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-27-jewelry-001.jpg  
Old 12-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

I also cleaned up the inside of the machine - it wasn't rusted as I had thought - it had dried up oil. I just used a rag and a bit of rubbing alcohol and it came right off - it may or may not be that easy for you. There is rust in a couple places but the machine turns well. Then I followed Glenn's info for getting the outside cleaned up. This is a picture of after the cleaning. I still have to use the shellac/denatured alcohol and get the finish looking better. This is still looking a bit rough. Glenn says it will take a lot of work to get this machine smooth and sleek without ruining the decals. It will take a little time here and there but I'm looking forward to getting it done. Cleaning it up to this point took a couple evenings. Right now it has a coating of boiled linseed oil on it to protect the decals. The next step is the shellac and will take going over it several times different days.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450468[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-27-jewelry-002.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 12-07-2013 at 02:37 PM.