Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Craigslist find - Singer 99 and a bonus! >

Craigslist find - Singer 99 and a bonus!

Craigslist find - Singer 99 and a bonus!

Old 01-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Default Craigslist find - Singer 99 and a bonus!

I hate it when an ad on Craigslist says, "Email for photos." If they're going to take photos, why not put them in the ad where they can attract people, instead of sending the pictures out individually to every yahoo who emails?

Well, in this case, it worked out for me. I guess it was the recent snowstorm that had me thinking about a handcrank machine. So I was looking on Craigslist for an old black Singer I could convert to a crank. I saw the aforementioned ad, which said "old Singer with case - $40." I took a chance and wrote. Here are the photos I received.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541397[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541398[/ATTACH]

Yep, that's a 99K from 1938 and a bentwood case. Both for just $40. Who's saying "Yahoo!" now? The machine didn't have a motor on it, but that's okay, since I'm going to put a crank on it. By the way, if anyone here has one of the Chinese handcranks, please post what you think of it.

Both the machine and case are in great shape. The machine moves smoothly and the case has no cracks or separating veneer, just a few dents. I did have to replace the missing needle clamp and dry bobbin wheel. (A shout-out to Archie Johnson & Son in Raleigh - a great old-time sewing repair shop.) After I put the needle clamp on, I cleaned out the bobbin area, threaded it up, and tentatively tested it. It sews!!! Now I need to give both the machine and case a good cleaning, oiling, and waxing.

Tate
Attached Thumbnails singer99a.jpg   singer99b.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 08:16 PM

Nice! I wonder where the motor went. That seems odd, make sure you check inside the bentwood and double check that there isn't a hand crank up there.

My experience with the replacement cranks are that no two are the same. Some are just crap and some are fine once they get oiled up. The quality control is all over the map. Buy 2, one will be better than the other.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

I've had over a dozen new hand crank attachments and saw 2 I didn't like. Nice machine. I just cleaned up a rusted up Singer 99. Mine did not turn because the bobbin area was so rusted. I spent the better part of a day making that one work. The wires were toast so I put a hand crank on it. It sews beautifully and is very quiet now. Two things. If you put a hand crank on it the case may not close - hand crank may have to be removed for storage. And if that is a replacement hand wheel, the bobbin winder may not connect to the wheel as you wind a bobbin. I remove the screw at the top and it allows the winder to connect. Both problems are solvable.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:54 AM

I searched, begged, pleaded and looked for an old crank to no avail, so reluctantly ordered one from Sew-Classic.com. It was out of stock so I called Jenny and asked all about it. She said they had been getting better, due to all the complaints from Americans (made in China). She emailed me when they came in and I ordered 2. They were beautiful, well painted, decorated with decals and look great. Jenny had greased them with a white, wheel bearing grease and tested them for me, which I really appreciated. I can't complain. Put one on my 1910 Redeye and saved another one for the 128. I have since purchased a spoked fly wheel for it to install the crank, but haven't done it yet. If yours turn out as well as mine did, then you will probably like them.
Donna
Old 01-29-2016, 09:30 AM

*** Good looking machine.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:46 AM

It's nice to hear the new hand cranks are getting better. They always looked fine from what I could see, the problem was the old ones turned so much smoother and nicer in comparison the new ones felt like a let down.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:09 AM

Thanks to everyone for their comments on the handcrank. I've now ordered one from Sew Classic. While I'm waiting, I'll be cleaning up the machine and case.

You know, I never knew that the 99 was a 3/4-sized version of the 66. Kinda makes me wonder why they didn't name it the 49.5. (Small math joke. Very small.)

Tate

Last edited by tate_elliott; 01-29-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:17 AM
KLO

Wow, Tate, nice find! It will go nicely with your Rocketeer collection. Also nice that it already has the spoked wheel on it so you only need to add the crank, right? I have two 99K machine, one in the bento box and one in a single middle drawer cabinet but they are not as old as yours (early 50's for both). Thanks for asking about the "new" handcranks as I want to convert an early 50's 128 into a handcrank. I will need the spoked wheel also and have been hesitant to buy the wheel and handcrank for fear that would be junk. Someone on fleabay advertizes handcranks as an older 2000's style and says they have all metal gearing while the one's from 2010 forward have plastic gears. Does anyone know whether this is true or not? Not that I don't believe everything I read on the internet ... but there was a problem with that French model on the car insurance commercial if you remember!!! Hmmm, guess I had better go check sew-classics.

Forgot to ask you Tate, did you lose power in the recent snow/ice/sleet storm? We were without the newspaper and mail for several days but still had power. I think I read where your area was worse off that the middle of the state where I am.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:38 PM

Great find. As for the import hand crank, they, for the price are pretty good. I was commissioned to create a civil war era portable hand crank unit for field re-enactments use. The lady did a lot of field repairs on uniforms and when my sister told of my collection, she asked if I could made a portable machine for her from my collection. I put a Chinese crank on it for her. I think I paid $15 for the crank/spoke hand wheel combo. About 2 yrs. ago, I ordered an original Cir. 1900 from England and I paid a little over $100 shipping included. While the import(china) did a decent job, the original is of a higher quality. You should dismantle, inspect and lubricate the unit before using.

Soman2

The other Rodney
Old 01-29-2016, 12:44 PM

BTW, here is a pic of the civil war portable machine. Lee has stated that many people like it and a few wanted to buy it.

Soman2
Attached Thumbnails img_6458.jpg