Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Curious about Featherweights

Curious about Featherweights

I love the look of the Featherweights (and all the other vintage machines), I am seriously considering getting one (or 2 or 3). DH and I go to antique stores, and there are so many vintage machines, lots of treadles, others just in their old cases, and have seen several Featherweights. What is a normal good price on a Featherweight? And the other vintage machines, or does it depend on brand/model, etc?
    ​Krysti

You might pick one or two models that you really like... then follow them on ebay. Then you'll get a better idea of what the going price is. One thing I've learned the hard way, is if they don't come with their original manuals, there's a possibility they are no longer available. Know how I know? Just bought a- not that old- Kenmore thinking surely I could get a copy of the manual and/or any parts I might need. Guess what? Nope.

Everyone I've talked to that has a Singer featherweight loves them. I personally don't have one.
    Last edited by HillCountryGal; 07-21-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spell check

Blog Entries
    Featherweights are way cool little machines! You can most likely get a better price on ebay than you can in an antique store, but once in awhile you find a seller that doesn't know what they have!
    As for the other vintage machines, it would depend on what you want from them...zigzag? Just a straight stitcher? Electric? Treadle? Handcrank?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

My 2 little FW's sit side by side, one black - one white - so cute!

I love my FW's - bought 3 because I didn't know how to stop the winning bids on various sites. (I gave one to my sister since neither of my daughters wanted one.) Do yourself a favor, figure out what you believe to be a fair price and keep looking until you find one for that price or less. You will read all the time that someone has one at a yard sale for $20.00 and then see them for $500+. They are fun little machines that seem to run forever and very portable so if you want to take it to classes, or travel with it they are quite handy. I leave one up in my sewing room for that items that needs a quick mending.

I bought my 221 featherweight off of ebay, and a 222 original 110v motor from a FW collector/dealer called featherweight factory. I enjoy both of them. have fun, you'll know the right machine when you see it.