Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Damaged Featherweight Case repair? >

Damaged Featherweight Case repair?

Damaged Featherweight Case repair?

Old 02-08-2014, 10:21 PM

Question Damaged Featherweight Case repair?

My Featherweight case's side was damaged in shipping. I will be able to wood glue it and clamp and it will be fine.
Due to previous wear damage there are some bare spots of wood scattered about. I would like to recover the case, but am unsure as to the removal of the previous factory covering. How should I go about it. Do I dampen it and peel if off? I have looked at some of the restored cases done by members here and I'm very impressed with what they have done. But I don't recall if they removed the type of paper-like cover that is on the FW case.

I don't want it to looks like I went at it with a hatchet.

Thanks for any info...

Judy
Old 02-08-2014, 11:54 PM

I am not an expert on FW cases here ( maybe someone can chime in) but I know that you can easily peel it. Just do it ever so slowly and carefully. I know it's strong and made of plastic kind of fabric.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:15 AM

Maybe steam? It's a bit like wallpaper... Interested to hear from someone who's actually done it too
Old 02-09-2014, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure either - I do know wallpaper comes off walls with fabric softener or vinegar BUT it could effect the wood and the glue joints of the case - sssssssooooooooooooo I am interested in this topic, too.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 AM

My question would be what to use as the new covering? New inside?

Will be watching this thread, as I have a still stinky after doing everything possible case.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 AM

We have a bunch of FW cases and my DH decided to take one apart to repair & recover. The fabric on this case came off easily. It just needs to have the rear hinges removed, then the sanding & re-gluing process. There is reproduction fabric covering that is very close to original. It is called Tolex and is used mostly for recovering old Fender amplifier cases and related. He currently is working on other projects so I don't expect to see any updates any time soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461334[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]461336[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]461337[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]461338[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc02490-%5B1024x768%5D.jpg   dsc02491-%5B1024x768%5D.jpg   dsc02492-%5B1024x768%5D.jpg   dsc02493-%5B1024x768%5D.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by joobee View Post
My Featherweight case's side was damaged in shipping. I will be able to wood glue it and clamp and it will be fine.
Due to previous wear damage there are some bare spots of wood scattered about. I would like to recover the case, but am unsure as to the removal of the previous factory covering. How should I go about it. Do I dampen it and peel if off? I have looked at some of the restored cases done by members here and I'm very impressed with what they have done. But I don't recall if they removed the type of paper-like cover that is on the FW case.

I don't want it to looks like I went at it with a hatchet.

Thanks for any info...

Judy
when I bought mine it had a damaged handle...I made a tote bag for it kinda square/rectangle and carried it that way good camouflage if damaged???
Old 02-09-2014, 10:17 AM

Marilyn, thanks for the tip on the Tolex. I had no idea what it was. I looked it up because the black won't work for me as this is the FW carrier that is minty and off white for a white FW. But it looks as though Tolex comes in many colors.
Here is one site if any others are interested in looking. They even have a snakeskin & glitter colors! Although I will probably stick to close to the same colors.
http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/tolex-tweed-colors
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 AM

Marilyn, thanks for the tip on the Tolex. I had no idea what it was. I looked it up because the black won't work for me as this is the FW carrier that is minty and off white for a white FW. But it looks as though Tolex comes in many colors.
Here is one site if any others are interested in looking. They even have a snakeskin & glitter colors! Although I will probably stick to close to the same colors.
http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/tolex-tweed-colors
Old 02-10-2014, 07:00 AM

I had a very musty smelling case and machine. I tried everything to no avail so I took 2 glade decor scent refills took the cover off and put them in the case closed it up and left it for 6 months. My Bernina had a problem and went to the fix it shop while I was piecing a big quilt so I brought out my FW and no musty smell. It does smell like lavender and vanilla but that is much better then musty.