A Damascus Treadle..........

Old 11-24-2012, 02:31 PM

Default A Damascus Treadle..........

My friend gave me a Damascus Treadle sewing machine today, that had been owned by her MIL who died several years ago. She was in her nineties at the time of death. The machine is complete, but needs cleaning. It has the long bobbin that lays on it's side. I'm wanting some information about it's age. It's in a good cabinet, which has no drawers, other than a large pocket type drawer on the left hand side, with a lift-up lid. On the right side of the cabinet is a small wooden ledge that has spool spindles on it, for thread storage when not in use. The front of the cabinet has two little doors that open to make it easier to sew. They are only about 5 inches from top to bottom. I can't find any info, and will try to get a picture. Can anyone help me?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:08 PM

Sounds like a National Vibrating Shuttle model. Here's a group that should aid in ID, owner's manual, and other information: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nsmco/?tab=s

Good Luck
Jon
Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 PM

Thank you, Jon. I applied for membership in one of their groups and hope to find out more about my new baby. I've named her Vivian, for the lady who gifted me with it.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 AM

From what little I have heard, the Damascus is considered to be a great prize. So, consider yourself one lucky ol' hen.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM

Oh, thank you for telling me that. I do consider myself quite lucky, it came from a very special lady!
Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
From what little I have heard, the Damascus is considered to be a great prize. So, consider yourself one lucky ol' hen.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 AM

I have a Damascus Treadle also. She is a beautiful machine. I am in process of cleaning her now. Hope to find out as much information about her as I can.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 PM

I, too, have a Damascus treadle...Damascus Grand, to be exact. I bought her for $50 on an estate auction. I'm still playing around with and cleaning her up. She is beautiful!