Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The dark underside

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Miriam,

Probably not. Many if not all Japanese machines have a J-A + number in the casting. This number Ids the manufacturer. As an example Happy used JA 10. Janome when they made New Homes used JA 2 & JA 30. Maruzen made Kenmores and used JA 4. The list is being compiled by on a Yahoo group by Bill Holman as information becomes available, but it isn't complete yet (maybe never will). The manufacturer of the JA 54 hasn't been identified yet.

Cathy (probably too much information again)
    Cathy we are so fortunate to have you here! This is great information! I no longer have any Japanese 15 clones, but I have 3 Japanese made machines including my "Rodney" machine. I am going to check out the underside of my machines to see if I can figure out who made them!

Miriam is this site for the underside of any vintage Japanese machine or just the 15 clones?

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Miriam is this site for the underside of any vintage Japanese machine or just the 15 clones?
    Miriam is going to start a new thread in a couple of days for Vintage Japanese Badged Machines. The thread will be for all machines that are not Singer Model 15 clones. She says to get your pics ready.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Miriam is going to start a new thread in a couple of days for Vintage Japanese Badged Machines. The thread will be for all machines that are not Singer Model 15 clones. She says to get your pics ready.
    Yes, that is true - get your pictures ready - I'll get mine when I get done with my day job work for the week
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Model 12. Under restoration presently.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    we should do a thread on the dark side of the long bobbin machines, too - I am not convinced people read the whole thread some times. That one looks more complicated than the 128
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Miriam,

Once you tip the head back on one of these 12s and watch the action, you'll see just how simple they are.
    And so easy to work on.
    What amazes me is the huge amount of varnish and greasy gunk these 12s have on their undersides. Always much more than any class 15 or 66.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    we should do a thread on the dark side of the long bobbin machines, too - I am not convinced people read the whole thread some times. That one looks more complicated than the 128
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    I've seen so many machines all coated and just as many bone dry. Go figure. I got a brief look at Glenn's 12 - pretty cool how the shuttle goes side to side. It would be cool to see a video on how some of these go and the differences - Muv?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I've seen so many machines all coated and just as many bone dry. Go figure. I got a brief look at Glenn's 12 - pretty cool how the shuttle goes side to side. It would be cool to see a video on how some of these go and the differences - Muv?
    I was lucky on my 12. It was really clean under the dark side. I just had to do the final clean up.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Dan. Nice 12 under all of that dark gunk. Likely 100+ years of dried whale oil varnish. Always think positive, that gunk prevented rust.
    Sweet Caroline

My 127 was like that 12. I'm still cleaning it. Nothing but Hoppe's and alcohol has touched that gunk. Next machine like that that I see I'm gonna turn and run away from it.

Joe

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast