Determining value of....

Old 01-09-2015, 08:22 AM

Default Determining value of....

I have an old singer treadle that I purchased well over 10 yrs ago. I know it works, I never used it...how do I find out its monetary value in case I want to sell it? Thanks for any advise
Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 AM

The best thing you can do is start looking at Craig's List in your area. That will at least give you an idea of what other people are asking for similar machines near you. The rest depends on rarity and condition. In my market I see treadles anywhere from $25 and up.
Rodney
Old 01-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Banned

Well.....

If it is a Mother of Pearl covered Really Early Singer it could be worth thousands!

However, if it is a run-of-the-mill Singer made in the millions in a basic stamped steel leg treadle, it could be worth $50 (or less)

Or somewhere in between...
Old 01-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I would Google all the information I could. See if it still currently works (use a test cloth. I use denim). Condition determines much of the cost. See what they're asking on the different sites like e-Bay and CL and such and any attachments you may have. Also see how long the machines have been on the market. The ones on CL you can check to see if it's available still. And the age of the machine but that all goes into gathering as much info as you possibly can. I would post a photo of it on here and you mayhave some interested parties.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 AM

When you watch places like eBay and Craig's List, don't just look at the asking prices, those are usually way off base.

Follow the CL listing, see if the machine sticks around for a long time. Usually does when the prices are too high for the machine / area.

On eBay, check the ended auctions to see what similar machines actually went for.

Or, learn to use it and enjoy it. You do know this new fangled thing called electricity is just a passing fad don't you?

Joe
Old 01-09-2015, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
When you watch places like eBay and Craig's List, don't just look at the asking prices, those are usually way off base.

Follow the CL listing, see if the machine sticks around for a long time. Usually does when the prices are too high for the machine / area.

On eBay, check the ended auctions to see what similar machines actually went for.

Or, learn to use it and enjoy it. You do know this new fangled thing called electricity is just a passing fad don't you?

Joe
I have a friend who doesn't sweat the small stuff. If she loses electricity, she says she still doesn't lose power as long as she has her treadle. When the elec comes back on sometime she just keeps on going with her treadle.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:27 AM

Many sellers seem to think that just because a machine is older that it should be worth a small fortune. It usually isn't. I think prices vary in different parts of the country. I know I paid $100 for a very nice 127 in a well kept oak cabinet and have found treadles selling for less than this in my part of Southern Ontario. The ones with the higher prices just don't sell. Antique collecting doesn't seem to be as popular as it was a few years ago and young couples don't seem to want an old sewing machine as house decor. My son made it quite clear that he wants no part of any old sewing machine gifts from me.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

HHHMMMMM Around this Quilting Board you can expect to pay $25 or less for a VERY nice working sewing machine with all the accessories, an original manual and a pristine table or case especially if it is a Featherweight. If you believe that I have a bridge to sell.....
Old 01-09-2015, 02:08 PM

$25 and up seems about right. I've gotten quite a few free treadles and $5 and $10 ones also. To me $100 is a darn nice treadle but some would spend a few hundred without batting an eye. I'm in Singer country in NJ. A lot of it is luck and regional demand or lack of demand. If your willing to hold it and play around with it for a while than why not ask a hundred or two. Quick sale a lot less.

Jon
Old 01-09-2015, 09:34 PM

Miriam, I love it! I probably paid too much for the head I bought to fix my cousin's Minnesota Model A, but those do not seem to be that common a machine -- I'm just a rank amateur, so I don't know. My cousin is happy with it! Enough said!

Jeanette