Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DH brought home a Free-Westinghouse

DH brought home a Free-Westinghouse

I don't know anything about vintage machines, but my amazing DH found this Free-Westinghouse on Craigslist and picked it up for me. It has all the accessory feet, but no manual. The lady that sold it thought it was from the 1940's, but a quick Google search showed many of these machines listed as 1930's. I have so much to figure out before I can begin to use it. Any thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1080.jpg 
Views:	790 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	376433

Name:	IMG_1081.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	376434

Name:	IMG_1079.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	376435

VERY pretty and such a nice cabinet! You must have gotten every foot made for her!

She looks lovely and the table is beautiful. Enjoy!

Thanks - it's in really good condition. I have to figure out how to get her threaded to say nothing of playing with the feet she came with. Now she needs a name. Stella... that sounds like a good name for her time period.
    If anyone has any tips, tricks, suggestions for using vintage machines I'd appreciate it. I've only used modern machines with drop in bobbins. I think YouTube is going to be my go to source for awhile.

You can download PDF of a manual here. The sewing machine appears to be the same as yours visually.

http://sewingmanuals.blogspot.com/20...struction.html

First thing you do is give her a good oiling in every hole and underneath every part that turns. She should use 15X1 needles and threading should be intuitive. Do check the wiring though for brittleness and bare wires. Good luck with Stella.
    Last edited by Caroline S; 11-14-2012 at 07:15 AM.
    Sweet Caroline

She's a beauty. Great hubby you have there!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Such a wonderful thing that your husband did!!! It looks like a model 15 clone. Your going to love it!! Whenever I need to thread my 15 clones I tune into Muv's video to show me how . Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tii...eature=channel
    ~~Cathy~~

I bought one used as my only machine, trading in a worn out treadle, in 1956 and later traded it for a pink Universal zigzag in 1958. It was still doing good but I wanted the zigzag for toddler clothes. It was in a similar cabinet and I would guess it was made after the war so late 40's to 50's. But I have no real knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    You can download PDF of a manual here. The sewing machine appears to be the same as yours visually.

http://sewingmanuals.blogspot.com/20...struction.html

First thing you do is give her a good oiling in every hole and underneath every part that turns. She should use 15X1 needles and threading should be intuitive. Do check the wiring though for brittleness and bare wires. Good luck with Stella.
    THANK YOU!! I just bought and downloaded the manual. The wiring will have to be replaced. It is brittle and in places has been taped. DH wants to cut it and splice on a new wire, but I'm feeling protective of Stella and may want a shop to do it. Funny how we become so attached so quickly! And I haven't even sewn on her yet!

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    Such a wonderful thing that your husband did!!! It looks like a model 15 clone. Your going to love it!! Whenever I need to thread my 15 clones I tune into Muv's video to show me how . Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tii...eature=channel
    Thank you - I'm more of a visual learner so videos are good!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast