Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do I need a washer in the terminal? >

Do I need a washer in the terminal?

Do I need a washer in the terminal?

Old 05-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Joe, I think I'd like to try that method next time. My soldering skills are weak and I need more practice first. Seriously, I need more practice doing everything, but I sure am having a fun time learning. Every machine is a new adventure, no frustration, well... both.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I'd thin it out.

But then in the Singer connection blocks I don't use connectors. I twist the wire, then bend it around a screwdriver to make a ring the right size for the posts and solder it. Then I flatten the soldered ring to make it thinner.

Joe
I usually do that also. sometimes ring lugs make sense, especially if soldering isn't second nature yet. You might be able to turn connector on the bottom, upside down, leave the top one right side up. another possibility, if you have the slack left in the wires, but both into 1, cut back and restrip, then insert into one ring lug, (blue insulator plastic) Electrically it is the same or better.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:56 PM

I am totally mental. I couldn't stand it. No matter what I tried the terminal screw only went part way and it bugged me. I opened up the lamp and re-wired it. I got some good practice in first on my soldering until I felt pretty confident. The lamp is back on and working and now I have 18 gauge wires and more room to play. I think I will try the self made rings this time. First, some practice!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:50 PM

I tried the soldering home made rings but decided to go with the ring terminals instead. The soldered rings weren't any thinner even when I tried to smash them flatter. I tried squeezing them flat with pliers and also tried a hammer. When I really smacked them with a hammer it could push them out of shape and make it harder to fit them on the terminal post but they still weren't thinner.

Re-wiring the lamp with 18 gauge was a help and I felt the end result was better with the thinner wire.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:09 PM

The home made rings is a tedious task. I don't always get them right the first time either. But I do eventually get them.
To flatten them I just use the smooth part of the jaws on a pair of needle nose pliers. If you twist the wire tight and don't use a ton of solder they don't get really big.

joe