Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Suggestions/Opinions on Washer/Dryer

Well, my 14 year old Kenmore set are on their last legs.

I'm considering an LG, Maytag or Whirlpool washer and dryer.

What are your preferences? Front loading, top loading? High efficiency? I've heard many differing opinions on HE b/c of the use of HE only detergents.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    love my whirlpool

For what it is worth, I have the Kenmore top loading, low water, high efficiency - it is wonderful.
    It has a larger capacity and will do any size.

Good luck with your shopping.

Blog Entries
    Whirlpool or kenmore. Top loading and extra lg capacity!!!

I have the front load washer & dryer Amana, do not like them. I cannot wash my throw rugs in the washer as they will not spin out, too heavy when wet. I really don't have an issue with the he detergent as I just use less when it is not he.
    For my money I would go with a top load washer.

We had a repair man tell us he wouldn't get a front load machine yet. He worked on more newer front load machines compared to top load machines and said the front load machines still need some bugs worked out. Enjoy whichever you get.

Blog Entries
    I have a front-loading Asko and really like it. However, the washer and dryer are too small to do large comforters; those have to be taken to a laundromat.

Front-loaders take considerably less water and less detergent than top-loaders, and the tumbling action is much easier on clothes than an agitator is. Especially if you pay for water, these are savings that can really add up over time. I especially like how clothes stay new-looking so much longer.

I actually like the small capacity of my Asko, as it allows me to separate clothes into reds, blacks, etc. -- more than just lights and darks. Plus fewer clothes tumbling together reduces abrasion from the wash cycle. I can stuff a dozen towels in at a time, so that is not a problem. However, larger families than mine might benefit from a larger capacity.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably opt for a larger capacity front loader. The savings in wear and tear on the clothes alone are enough to sell me on them. I think LG is a decent brand, but I'm not sure.

Blog Entries
    I have a Fisher and Paykel Washer and Dryer and they are fantastic!

You can purchase them at Lowe's or Sears.

I got them 3 years ago and they changed my life! They are quiet, use much less energy, and I have never had a problem.

They were created by Aussie engineers and are a little different from American makes, and oh, I can't say enough good about them.

I was out shopping for a set a couple weeks ago. My 20 yr old Kenmore set is on its last leg, aslo.

I found a Maytag at Home Depot on sale and it looked pretty good. I thought about getting another Kenmore since this last set has been so reliable but wanted a different model. The kenmores were a bit more than the Maytag, but the Maytag was on sale. I want a top loader.

For me, I am debating over these two models.
    Good luck!

love my top loading Whirlpool

Blog Entries
    have front loaders and hate them!

I have a front loader set from Frigidaire that I've have for about 5 years now. Never a problem with them. I don't use HE detergent -- I just use about a quarter of the recommended amount of regular detergent. No problem with odor since I leave the door propped open for a while to dry after I use the washer. Gentler on clothes, uses less water, use much less detergent, quiet, can fit large amounts in them, can do rugs, comforters, etc. I did spring for the bases for them -- can't figure out why those are so expensive, but to me they were worth it.

Funny you should ask that,I had to buy a new set yesterday.I had to replace my Whirlpool Cabreio.It was only 6yrs old,had to have repairs done twice in that time.I went with a Speed Queen they will be delivered today.I don;t know how they will hold up,but they have plain ole dials no computerized dash.My MIL had one that lasted 20 something yrs,so we;ll see how it goes.Oh DH ordered a new side by side fridge too.
    The speed queen says made in USA

Just bought a new washer last week. I found the whole process very frustrating. I ended up with an LG front loader.

I was replacing a front load Maytag. I will never buy another Maytag. Several repairmen told me that they aren't what they used to be.

I found it amusing (not the right word, but I can't think of the word I want) that washers now come with built in water heaters, and even steam. What happened to all the hype about washing your clothes in cold water?

My first washer (not the Maytag) lasted 25 years. Now they are expected to last 10 years. I find that very annoying.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by connie_1936
    have front loaders and hate them!
    Me too...I would never recommend them to anyone...

I have a front loading Magtag washer and dryer 5000 Series. They are high capacity and will wash a ton of clothes or just one garment depending on your choice. I would never own anything but a front loader since it is on a drawer and I can reach straight in to the drum, no bending over. The same with the dryer. The low water used in a front loader is a very nice feature but the no bending is the BEST FEATURE of all. Consider what the next 10-20 years may be like health wise for you.

I replaced Maytag with a Frigidaire washer. Been using Frigidaire almost 5 years, love it. Also, replaced dryer, and got a fantastic deal by getting the set. I do use the HD Tide. Has several different wash, dry, rinse cycles and tempertures for water. Large tub will hold a bed comforter. Maytag is not what is used to be. I purchase my appliances from a local store. I get much better prices than big box stores, plus the service is always on time with trained tecs. Local business people are happy for your support.

Blog Entries
    I have Maytag - toploader. Have heard that if the water pump goes out on a front loader, you have a real problem, with a toploader you can scoop out the water.
    I also love how you can avoid mildew on toploaders by opening the top when you are done to allow it to dry out.

Blog Entries
    We have well water with iron. My only requirement was a stainless steel drum - no chipped enamel with rust.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950
    My first washer (not the Maytag) lasted 25 years. Now they are expected to last 10 years. I find that very annoying.
    My first washing machine of my own was a Kenmore; it also lasted about 25 yrs. (Ouch, I'm getting old!) I can't remember the brands but my next machine was a front loader. I liked the water/detergent savings but it died at the 8 yr mark.

With my first front loader, I came home one day to the sound of a cement mixer in my basement. I asked my boyfriend, "what's that noise?" He says, "Oh, its just the washing machine." Huh? Being female, I ran down and stopped the washer, thinking that something is wrong, don't make it worse, call the repairman. His thinking, being male, was to let it run to completion, take out the laundry, then throw in another load. Huh?!!

Turns out neither approach would have worked in the long run. If I remember correctly, the bearings on the main shaft had rusted to the point of failure and couldn't be fixed. I liked the front loader style so I went out and bought another one. Four years later it's still going strong but I'm waiting for that fateful day when I come home to hear another cement mixer in the basement! :-)

In the meantime, a couple of observations/points:
    1. I've heard/read more than once that the front loaders typically fail at the ten year mark. Given the hefty purchase price, I expect longevity!
    2. There are times I have really missed the high-speed spin cycle on the top loaders. The front loader does most things okay but there are those rare times...
    3. The front loaders are gentler on the clothes but I'm noticing that my whites are not staying white; they eventually pick up a grey(?) tinge that all the non-chlorine bleach and OxyClean won't touch. Maybe it's the fabrics now-a-days -- anyone else experience this?

Long & short of it, sorry for the long post, I think I'll buy a top loader next time. They're coming out with ones now that are gentler than the ones from years back. JMHO.

So many options! It's going to be a tough decision. Thanks so much for everyone's opinions/suggestions!

I have Whirlpool Duet -w-Steam front loaders. They are high efficiency and require the HE detergent. I love them. The cycles are longer (unless I use Quick Wash cycle) but they require less water, less detergent, and they clean our clothes better than my old Maytags. My Maytags were great but were 25 years old when we replaced them.

My new frontloaders can do LARGE items very easily, like King size comforters and blankets. They also have dispensing units for Oxyclean, bleach, and fabric softener so I don't have to go back to add anything.

The frontloaders are larger than the standard top loaders so if you think you will buy frontloaders, check to be sure your space is large enough.

Lastly, they do cost more, but I really love the features and how much cleaner they get my laundry.

I love my Whirlpool front loader. My top loaders always got out of balance on big items or rugs. That does not happen with my front loader.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    I have a Fisher and Paykel Washer and Dryer and they are fantastic!

You can purchase them at Lowe's or Sears.

I got them 3 years ago and they changed my life! They are quiet, use much less energy, and I have never had a problem.

They were created by Aussie engineers and are a little different from American makes, and oh, I can't say enough good about them.

My sister recommended this set to me after she bought hers. She loves it. I went to Sears on Black Friday and bought a set for my son and DIL for their housewarming present. They love them.

Wait until Black Friday if you can.

Blog Entries
    I bought a set of Whirlpool Cabrio (top loading) about 5 years ago.

They have not given me a minutes trouble; however, I am not happy with them. First... it takes FOREVER for any cycle to complete (typically 50+ minutes). I always rince my husband's work clothes before washing..... it takes nearly 40 minutes to simply rince. ON TOP OF THAT..... my clothes do not get as clean or when I put it on a heavier cleaning cycle.... it rips my clothes.

I wished I just bought a simple top loading set. It would have been a lot cheaper and I would have clean clothes.

My advice.... stay away from these.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast