Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Do you kids want vintage sewing machines? >
  • Do you kids want vintage sewing machines?

• Do you kids want vintage sewing machines?

Old 06-06-2014, 04:51 AM

With six sons I was always sewing up shirts and mending-mending. My second son actually bought an antique Pfaff treadle before I got a treadle of my own. He is the sewer in the family but they all can sew and mend as they need to.
    I learned to sew on a treadle, and I don't remember what kind. Most of my life I have used a Kenmore, and they are still going strong.
    My first born is a mechanic who love to tinker and I now have him hooked on old machines. He doesn't sew much but loves getting them sewing again. I think he told me he was up to 19 machines now.
    Old 06-07-2014, 07:21 PM

My Granny was the sewer, quilter, seamtress--she always amazed me on how she could look at a dress then go home, cut the pattern out of old newspaper or paper bags taped together and it would fit like a glove. My mom could not sew at all---but she could tell me how to do what was needed. I am the sewer, quilter, dollmaker, of the family. My Granny had a featherweight and I loved that little machine---but my cousin got it when she passed away. I was devastated. My daughter has no interest in sewing and brings me all her mending and now wants me to make dog t-shirts for the 3 grandogs. My son, however, is a quilter and sewer. He lives in Croydon, England and has a small but nice more modern machine. My granddaughter sews a little so I am hoping that when she is out of her teenage years, she will take it up more. She loves my older machines. A Sears Kenmore that I bought when her mom was 6 months old and my very own Featherweight I found at a yard sale for $15.00 (I named the featherweight Anna after my Granny)
    Old 06-09-2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter
    Both my grandmother and mother were beautiful seamstresses. I have loved to sew forever and shared many happy times with my mother sewing. None of my children however appear to have inherited the sewing gene. If I hadn't given birth to them I would question if they were truly mine. How could it not be that at least one of them have gotten the sewing gene? I do have a daughter-in-law that is learning to sew so I'm having lots of fun with her when we are together. I have four vintage machines - 2 1970's era Vikings and 2 Singer Featherweights. I have no idea what will happen to them. I do have two granddaughters (age 1 and 3) and maybe I'll live long enough that they will be of an age of sewing and can pass them on to them. Hopefully the sewing gene can skip an generation and still be strong.
    I started my DGC out sewing when they were 3, they are now 6 & 8. They started out standing in front of me between my legs so they could reach the foot pedal. First thing we did was practice starting and stopping when Grandma said, "stop". Then they learned pivoting on a zigzag line drawn on white tablet paper. They do that all by themselves now with me sitting to the side of the machine. Last Thanksgiving, my DGS was teaching/coaching his cousin~age 7 (with me watching) how to do everything. Turns out he not only knows how to sew but he is a great coach. Three is not too young, IMHO.

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 06-09-2014 at 10:56 AM.
    Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 AM

I have granddaughters that I bought machines for & now none of them want vintage - so I've ended up with 11 to find a place for (FW's & 301's) . They all think they can make money with embroidery.
    Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by tenngal
    I have granddaughters that I bought machines for & now none of them want vintage - so I've ended up with 11 to find a place for (FW's & 301's) . They all think they can make money with embroidery.
    I've had to have a talk with my DD's about this "modern" idea that it is only worth doing if there is a $$ reward. The idea that it is a "waste" of time to do something simply for the joy.
    Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 AM

Often payment is necessary for the things we DON'T enjoy doing! Making money in addition, t doing what we enjoy, is a plus . IMO
    Old 06-19-2014, 10:55 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew
    Often payment is necessary for the things we DON'T enjoy doing! Making money in addition, t doing what we enjoy, is a plus . IMO
    I would totally agree. I don't make a whole lot selling a sewing machine - I like working on them though. I do get a kick out of seeing someone learning to sew and loving it.