Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do You Like "Make Me An Offer"? >

Do You Like "Make Me An Offer"?

Do You Like "Make Me An Offer"?

Old 05-18-2014, 02:07 PM

Default Do You Like "Make Me An Offer"?

I’ve been looking at a Gritzner Model K treadle sewing machine. I found it about a year ago, but didn’t “pull the trigger” on it. It’s an unusual machine that I would like to buy, clean up, and re-home. This past weekend, I visited it again, and instead of receiving a purchase price, I was asked to “make an offer on it” by the person consigning the machine. The procedure would be that upon receiving my offer, she would have to contact the Seller to see if he wants to sell it for my offer amount, and then get back to me with an answer. I didn’t make an offer. I expected her and her Seller to set a price for the unit.

On the other hand, on my website, I myself am almost insistent that Buyers “make an offer” for parts off of my parts machines. (Not my “As-is” machines, but they ask for parts off of them anyway.) Truthfully, I do this to sort out the serious Buyers from the “I want it for nothing” Buyers.

Am I expecting too much, or setting a double standard, asking others to make an offer for parts off of my machines, when I don’t feel comfortable making an offer on a complete machine?

How do you feel about hearing “make me an offer” when you’re interested in buying (or selling) vintage sewing machines or parts?

CD in Oklahoma

Last edited by ThayerRags; 05-18-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:20 PM

My first thought is when they say make me an offer, they want more than I am probably willing to pay. I always low-ball the price. Why go high and find out later I could have had if much cheaper. I don't think that should sort me out as not serious. I just have a good understanding that price is a very relative term..depends of how long you've been trying to sell, if it has any sentimental value, how badly I want it, if there are other possible buyers, and more.

I don't like it though. It make's me uncomfortable. I don't want to insult them or make them think I'm cheap, but I don't want to set the bar too high. It's only the beginning of negotiations and they are most likely going to try and raise from whatever I offer.

On another note. Do you have a photo of the machine you are talking about? i have a White branded Gritzner Kayser that I am cleaning up and can't wait to sew on.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:18 PM

Not especially. Usually I ignore ads that say that. If I see what the seller wants first then I know whether they're in the same ball park as me regarding price. I read "Make me an offer" as "I'm looking for the biggest sucker I can find".
I'm ok with "$XX or offer".
Rodney
Old 05-18-2014, 03:21 PM

I don't mind "or best offer" with a starting price. I'm perfecting willing to haggle.

If there is no price I leave. I have no reference of a good starting price in the sellers mind. I've run into situations where they are looking for $20 and someone to haul it away and people that want $300 and they are insulted when I offer something closer to reality. Also if no prices are listed on an item I'm assuming they are going to charge a different price based on me (based on what they think I can pay).
Old 05-18-2014, 03:52 PM

I try to turn the tables. I don't haggle. Normally, I know what I can afford and am willing to pay, even for a car. I explain to the seller that I don't haggle, that I have a price range I'm willing to pay, so shoot me a price and if it is within that range, I buy. I make them understand it's a one shot deal, I walk if the price is not in the range I'm willing to pay. The car dealers I deal with know my way of dealing and it works well for each of us.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:00 PM
KLO

I don't mind "or best offer" either for the same reason ... at least I have an idea as to whether they want way more than I am willing to pay. For "make me an offer", I would only be willing to do that if I really knew what the item was approximately worth, if I had been looking for a while, and/or I had a certain amount I was willing to spend. Then I probably would offer less than my top price to see how it goes.

And by the way, what a great question! Sure set me to thinking.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:25 PM

Since I am a regular auction go-er I know that what I think an item is worth and what others think is often very different. Also it usually depends on whether I really want the item or just am interested if the price is right.
If someone says for example, on a treadle Singer...$500 or best offer I probably wouldn't even attempt to make an offer but if the price is sort of near my range then I might attempt an offer.
I would have to say that if you are asking others to make YOU an offer then it seems strange that you aren't willing to make someone else an offer. NO offense
Also having just bought a car last week I sort of go with what Ron says...we had a price point that would work for us and was as honest as possible with the sellers and ended up paying a bit more than we had hoped but not outside our "range"
Old 05-18-2014, 04:36 PM

I totally dislike the "Make Me An Offer" type adds. Even yours. For the most part I just pass them on by. I only make an offer, such as when I've done business with you, if the seller is the only one that has a part or item I need and I can't find it any place else. Otherwise, forget it.

I much prefer a seller to quote me a price. That way I know if the seller is legit, or some scheister like a lot of eBay sellers, that is trying to gyp the customer.

No offense intended, but you did ask.

Joe
Old 05-18-2014, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Parts in themselves may or may not be worth all that much - BUT time to email with a buyer a few times, pull the part, pack it up, go to the post office, check a cash.... It takes a lot of time - it is some what of a service venture. I try to combine trips to the post office.

I do not like best offer - usually they are expecting a lot more than it is worth so I ignore. But then again I have offered some small amount and gotten the item. I guess I kind of look at how the rest of the ad is worded and the condition of the item. As far as I go I think I price my stuff as fairly as I can - I do not do best offer and I do not dicker. I usually tell them I thought I put a fair price on a serviced and working item. I also try to make sure someone knows how to work the item they buy from me... Well maybe not fabric - they are on their own.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:15 PM

Maybe there's been a year's worth of gun shy buyers, and the seller is desperate, and will take the first reasonable offer tendered.

That assumes you have some idea of the value of the item.