Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think it makes a difference if it's new or vintage re: Featherweight

Do you think it makes a difference if it's new or vintage re: Featherweight

I'm nearly completed restoring my featherweight which upon inspection needed work including a new motor and some finish repair/french polishing. My question is now regarding getting a case.

Do you think a "new" carrying case will due, or should I continue to search for a vintage case? The vintage cases are so darn expensive if you can get them on Ebay...

So...Would it make a difference to you?

Thanks for the help

Blog Entries
    I think that depends on you! Are you going to use the FW, like going to meetings or is it just for looks. If for looks than I would look for a vintage one. Me personally, it wouldn't matter.

Wouldn't matter to me, either. I guess if you are using it for yourself and you plan to move it about to sewing at other places I would get something "new" cause I'm not into the vintage stuff. Except for my (maybe vintage) FW which I totally love, BTW. Mine is in it's original case but would not mind if it had a different one, cause it's not about the case in my case. ha
    Sandy

Many of the vintage featherweight cases stink and I mean literally. The original glues that were used break down over time and often harbour musty odours. I keep a bar of Irish Spring soap in my Featherweight case all of the time and it still has a bit of a smell if it sits unopened for too long. A new case especially one of the soft padded ones would be great for your machine and you would avoid the well used, scuffed banged up, broken lock smelly case.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Blog Entries
    I have two FWs and both cases smell so bad that I cannot use them. I would be hesitant to purchase a vintage one off of eBay for fear of getting one with an odor problem. I opted to purchase a padded FW case and am pleased with it.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

A machine that is not original all the way through is not really a collectable. Featherweights are not rare in the least, having been made for a very long time in mass quantities. So for me, I'd get a reproduction case and use it.
    Our original case did stink pretty bad. We've gotten most but not all of that odor out, but like Shelbie says when it stays closed for a long time it will still stink.

I'm not a collector but a user with a variety of machines.

Joe

I bought my Featherweights a Tutto case, I felt they deserved the best, (LOL) and both of their cases were really smelly!

Quote Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
    I'm nearly completed restoring my featherweight which upon inspection needed work including a new motor and some finish repair/french polishing. My question is now regarding getting a case.

Do you think a "new" carrying case will due, or should I continue to search for a vintage case? The vintage cases are so darn expensive if you can get them on Ebay...

So...Would it make a difference to you?

Thanks for the help
    I have seen sites that reburbish machines sell the cases for $40 or so....

Personally, to me, it wouldn't matter if it were new or old. I just can't stand smelly. Now that I think about it, I guess I'd prefer one of those new roller cases -- so much easier on my aging back!
    Dorothy in PA

I'm not a purist, so my FW has a new case. Like it better than an old, stinky one that someone tried to cover up the smell............
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast