Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What a difference it makes

Since we moved out of our house in July we kept going back to do laundry because the house was for sale with the washer and dryer. We got tired of going back and forth and decided to use a nearby Laundrymat. What a mess that was. The clothes is never clean enough and the expense is ridiculous. After looking for weeks on Craigslist I took the plunge and went for it. I postponed a car payment and got a washer and dryer. The guy that sold me the washer was nice enough to go get the dryer for us in town (two different sellers) and this morning Jorge installed them both. They work great and I love been able to do laundry at home today.

Yay!!!! I did the Laundromat route once!! ONLY once!!

Yay!! Glad you got the washer and dryer. I couldn't imagine having to haul anything to a laundry mat any more!!!

Blog Entries
    Oh you brought back nightmares for me :shock: When my boys where young I used to have to go to the laundromat .... uuuuggghhhhh
    So Glad you got the washer and dryer at home now :thumbup:

I haven't had to the laundromat thing for years, but I remember what a pain it was at the time

Laundromats are horrible. I'm so glad you got a washer and dryer of your own.

Good for you! I admit to being rotten spoiled for a washer/dryer...I refuse to be without either one...they don't have to be fancy, or new, they just have to work! I can and have made do without other appliances, but not laundry...

I did the laundromat thing when I first got married. I thought it was kind of nice to get all the laundry done in one fell swoop. Now I procrastinate and it backs up! I keep telling myself, one load a day, one load a day! Congrats on your new machines! Keep 'em running!

We used a laundromat when first married. Many years ago. It was nice to get them all done at once. About the most boring place to hang out in. Clothes got clean and nothing damaged. Would never want ot do it again.

Blog Entries
    Early this morning, I put 3 loads of clothes in garbage bags at the front door. I need to go to the laundromat, but I keep putting it off. I used the laundromat only once before and considered it to be a total waste of a day. My washer isn't working and we are waiting for the part....a timer... to come in. We ordered it Thursday and were told it would be delivered overnight.....still hasn't arrived.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would rather go for my annual exam at GYN office than go to the laundromat.

Just come down to Plattsburgh and we can talk quilting while you laundry gets done. Just wait until you tell the border patrol why are you crossing to the US.

Did the laudromat thing when we sold our house and building the next. I used to go Sun. evening, load up 11 washers, then 11 dryers. (some weeks more.) Then fold them all, load back into the car and go home. I love to do laundry but that was a pain in the butt. During the week I could sneak a few loads at my Mom's but I didn't want to wear hers out. We had 4 kids at home and did about 20 loads a week.

No one would go with me either. :( I about kissed my washer and dryer when they came out of storage. (It was winter so I couldn't hang them outside either. :( )

We are now down to 7 loads a week but my son brings his wash to our house, about another 5. I cringe when i see a laundromat. It is a nightmare I don't want to relive.

Blog Entries
    My daughter lives in a house at college that doesn't have a washer and dryer...but in the summer she's moving to one that does!!! And it's right next door. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I would rather go for my annual exam at GYN office than go to the laundromat.
    Me too. DH knows if the washer or dryer act up it's not going to be pretty. DD just bought one of the fancy washer and dryers. Looks very complicated to me.

Blog Entries
    I've done the laundromat thing before. I was lucky enough to find what I called the "never ending dryer". I put a quarter in and it ran for almost an hour!

Although it's nice to get all the laundry done at one time, it's a pain to haul it to the laundromat, remember the detergent, fabric softener, etc and be patient while it's washing/drying.

A washer/dryer is something I hope never to have to go without again!

That was nice of you to offer your washer/dryer to Ranger. I would love to see the look on the Border Controller's face also! :D

I actually have fond memories of going to the laundromat. When I was a kid, we lived on a farm that didn't have much water available. To conserve water, we used an outhouse, and my mom took our dirty clothes to the laundromat once a week. No small feat, as there were six of us kids, and therefore, lots and lots of laundry. Mom would use all of the washers and dryers in the place and she folded all of it before we would head back home. Of course, she took us kids with her and we were there for hours. The fun part of it for us kids was that there was an IGA grocery store right next door, and Mom would give us each some money to go buy a treat. During the school year, we would take homework with us or a book to read. When we were old enough, we helped with loading the washer, dryer and folding. I think I was about 16 when we finally combined two wells so that we could do laundry at home. Like I said, I have fond memories, but I am sure that my mother would remember it in a very different way.

When I was a kid my mother and Grandmother washed EVERYTHING by hand and that was the way they wanted us to do it. My Grandma had a washer but it was only for special occasions. I never understood that one. What is a laundry special occasion? It sat there for years and years until one day they tried to use it and it was dead. We were 6 people in the house and every item had to be hand wash. Being in Puerto Rico they didn't bother with a dryer, meaning that we had to hang everything on the line and pay attention when it was dry in case it rained, or worse. The worse case was during the summer, when they were burning the sugar cane stalks and the ashes flew all over town, landing on everything. The sky would turn dark and everything would turn black by the time they finished. No, that doesn't mean I am too old to remember that, like my son said. I am only 46 yrs.

I guess we all have our laundry memories.

Blog Entries
    Nellesbelles and Maride, I really enjoyed reading your stories. :D