What a difference it makes

Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 AM

I would rather go for my annual exam at GYN office than go to the laundromat.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:58 AM

Just come down to Plattsburgh and we can talk quilting while you laundry gets done. Just wait until you tell the border patrol why are you crossing to the US.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 AM

Did the laudromat thing when we sold our house and building the next. I used to go Sun. evening, load up 11 washers, then 11 dryers. (some weeks more.) Then fold them all, load back into the car and go home. I love to do laundry but that was a pain in the butt. During the week I could sneak a few loads at my Mom's but I didn't want to wear hers out. We had 4 kids at home and did about 20 loads a week.

No one would go with me either. :( I about kissed my washer and dryer when they came out of storage. (It was winter so I couldn't hang them outside either. :( )

We are now down to 7 loads a week but my son brings his wash to our house, about another 5. I cringe when i see a laundromat. It is a nightmare I don't want to relive.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 PM

My daughter lives in a house at college that doesn't have a washer and dryer...but in the summer she's moving to one that does!!! And it's right next door. :lol:
Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I would rather go for my annual exam at GYN office than go to the laundromat.
Me too. DH knows if the washer or dryer act up it's not going to be pretty. DD just bought one of the fancy washer and dryers. Looks very complicated to me.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:36 PM

I've done the laundromat thing before. I was lucky enough to find what I called the "never ending dryer". I put a quarter in and it ran for almost an hour!

Although it's nice to get all the laundry done at one time, it's a pain to haul it to the laundromat, remember the detergent, fabric softener, etc and be patient while it's washing/drying.

A washer/dryer is something I hope never to have to go without again!

That was nice of you to offer your washer/dryer to Ranger. I would love to see the look on the Border Controller's face also! :D
Old 02-06-2010, 01:39 AM

I actually have fond memories of going to the laundromat. When I was a kid, we lived on a farm that didn't have much water available. To conserve water, we used an outhouse, and my mom took our dirty clothes to the laundromat once a week. No small feat, as there were six of us kids, and therefore, lots and lots of laundry. Mom would use all of the washers and dryers in the place and she folded all of it before we would head back home. Of course, she took us kids with her and we were there for hours. The fun part of it for us kids was that there was an IGA grocery store right next door, and Mom would give us each some money to go buy a treat. During the school year, we would take homework with us or a book to read. When we were old enough, we helped with loading the washer, dryer and folding. I think I was about 16 when we finally combined two wells so that we could do laundry at home. Like I said, I have fond memories, but I am sure that my mother would remember it in a very different way.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:28 AM

When I was a kid my mother and Grandmother washed EVERYTHING by hand and that was the way they wanted us to do it. My Grandma had a washer but it was only for special occasions. I never understood that one. What is a laundry special occasion? It sat there for years and years until one day they tried to use it and it was dead. We were 6 people in the house and every item had to be hand wash. Being in Puerto Rico they didn't bother with a dryer, meaning that we had to hang everything on the line and pay attention when it was dry in case it rained, or worse. The worse case was during the summer, when they were burning the sugar cane stalks and the ashes flew all over town, landing on everything. The sky would turn dark and everything would turn black by the time they finished. No, that doesn't mean I am too old to remember that, like my son said. I am only 46 yrs.

I guess we all have our laundry memories.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:30 AM

Nellesbelles and Maride, I really enjoyed reading your stories. :D