Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Does anyone know the year of this machine? >

Does anyone know the year of this machine?

Does anyone know the year of this machine?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:34 PM

Default Does anyone know the year of this machine?

I am moving so I need to sell off some thing's and one of them is a sewing machine. It has two instruction books with it.
One says Singer electric sewing machine 201-3
the other says Singer electric sewing machine 15-90

I know originally my grandmother had two so I'm guessing I ended up with both booklets. But I have no idea how much to list it for or the year it's made...Nothing.

I took some pictures, sorry but I tried twice in posting one of the pictures right side up but did not work.
Attached Thumbnails sewing-4.jpg   sewing-3.jpg   sewing-1.jpg   copy.jpg   copy-2.jpg  

Old 12-02-2013, 08:41 PM

That one looks like a 201-3, and the serial number places it in 1952.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:42 PM

(Hijack Alert)

Only one of the photos is right side up for me.

Since this is the umteenth post here and elsewhere with upside down photos I went down the hall to see if Apple users were trying to get a fix for it.
All I found were the usual "You're just doing it wrong" replies to people seeking help despite the fact that this seems to have just become an issue with the new iPhones.
I also found snark and derision towards anybody who says that Apple is anything but awesome.
Which is why I don't have anything Apple

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lew Schiller View Post
(Hijack Warning)

Since this is the umteenth post here and elsewhere with upside down photos I went down the hall to see if Apple users were trying to get a fix for it.
All I found were the usual "You're just doing it wrong" replies to people seeking help...along with snark and derision towards anybody who says that Apple is anything but awesome.
Which is why I don't have anything Apple

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
Yes very frustrated cuz I even saved the second pic upside down thinking that might right it...but no!!!

Would anyone have a clue how much I should ask for it? I know it run's because I was told grandmother used it...Me I just kept it because I liked looking at it but was afraid to try it in case I bust it. These old machines are something to be admired but yet too much weight to ship out to new location so got to let it go.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Your machine is a 201-3.

The serial number indicates it is a: 201K, 1 of 40,000 allotted April 1, 1952.
The K indicates it was made in Scotland.

I believe if you would read the manual and lube the machine properly you'd find it is not one to be easily broken. They are quite stout. One of the more saught after machines.

As for the value well, condition, completeness, and region. What I'd pay $XX.XX for in IL someone in NY might pay $YY.YY for.
So I can't really give you a dollar figure. Sorry 'bout that.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 12-02-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:53 PM

Oh and I also have a little box with additional attachments and despite the photo the table it's built into has two large folding leafs and wood is in good condition.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 PM

Go to ebay or Craigs List in your area to do a search for "sold" comparable model machines.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 AM

Right - without knowing where you live it's hard to help.
Craigslist is a good resource.
Around here it'd be asking +- 100...probably sell for $50 or so.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:55 AM

Lew is right on the price, I'd say in the $xx.xx range. If you get very lucky, you may get in the $xxx.xx range. Not that people don't ask it . . .

If you watch Craigslist - look for older stuff and see waht they are asking - becuase that is often an indication of what is too highly priced. Or watch every day and note prices for similar machines - and if they disappear quickly indicating they have sold.

That is the main drawback of craiglist - the prices you see are often what machine WON'T sell for. So people will look and see three or four similar machines for $150 and think - wow, that is what I can get for mine! Instead of thinking - if there are three sitting at $150, than that is more than anyone wants to pay for them.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Just all depends on where you look. Down here at a couple shops the one guy won't let any of his walk out the door for less than 400. ANd not in that great shape. Dirty and he charges extra for the manual. He says people walk off with the manuals and attachments. I told him if he kept them on file they wouldn't. He charges $50 for manuals. My sister went to a flea market last weekend and picked up a little singer with attachments and manual and foot pedal for GET READY For this! $4.00. Needs to be cleaned up and it's for her GD, the niece who is learning to sew. She said there was another one there and it will probably be back there this weekend for $10. I'm giving her money since I can't go. She said it had all the attachments and the manual. So hope she doesn't forget.