Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Domestic sewing machine

Blog Entries

Domestic sewing machine

I recently was given a Domestic Sewing machine...that's old. I think I have all the parts except the throat plate and the manual. I found the serial number under dirt and grime that I guess I would use to find out when it was made. Can anyone steer me in the correct direction to find parts, info on the machine and how to find out how old it is. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure it's worth trying to clean up and keep or just junk it, although I hate to do that to her. I'm sure if it could talk it would have plenty to tell me, lol.

Last edited by jlhmnj; 12-19-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Lucky you. Can we see pictures? We all like to see pics of other's sewing machines.
    Sweet Caroline

Isn't that a Japanese made 15 clone? If so, it's probably a good machine, all metal.

Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Should have mentioned Domestic was absorbed by White in 1924 where the above guide stops. The Domestic name was used by White after this time.

Jon

Blog Entries
    I would love to share pictures with all of you, however for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. The instructions say to click on insert image on top of message box.....well I sure don't see it....isn't this a message box?

Blog Entries
    So Jon how do I find out when this one was made? The lady that had it just passed away at 96, so I'm sure she bought it new. Any suggestions on how to get parts?
    Thanks and Merry Christmas!

I'm not good with posting pics myself. Next best option is to do a google search and find an image of your model if it's not in the guide above. Cut and paste the image and maybe someone might have a recomendation for parts, model or date. Without an image or model name there's an awful lot of "old Domestic's" to choose from. Enjoy the Detective work.

Jon

Wow! I would sure love to see your Domestic. In 1959 my DH bought a brand new Domestic for me. It had 12 cams for fancy stitching. It was green & kind of a brassy gold. It was such a good work horse & at that time Eatons sold them. I could still kick myself for selling it.

I just got a wrecked treadle from a junk dealer, who threw in a Domestic. It is godzilla finish dark grey, with shiny chrome under half an inch of grime. Not sure it is repairable, as it was standing on its end when he gave it to me, and he said he had thrown it. Don't know how, it must weight more than my Pfaff 130!
    I will try to take pix, but probably not for a few more days. And the treadle- I will need lots of advice about it!

Cil
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.