Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Driving 2 hours in snow to get a machine? >

Driving 2 hours in snow to get a machine?

Driving 2 hours in snow to get a machine?

Old 11-18-2013, 10:58 PM

Default Driving 2 hours in snow to get a machine?

I think I'm going crazy. There is a lady selling the identical Singer 99 handcrank in bentwood case with treadle belt cutout that I had for $50. Its a 2 hour drive from my home in winter driving conditions, would you guys go get it? I really want one to give to my nieces as a christmas present, but its not worth dying for on the roads.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 AM

One word....no.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:48 AM

I used to live in a snow country and would second Candace on the negative.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:04 AM
Power Poster

Won't the seller wait for you to get there?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:37 AM

Since you live in Canada, and if you have experience driving in the snow, and if your vehicle is equipped for snow, I don't see why not.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 AM

No - but then I live in an area that if the wind kicks up, you can't see more than 10' in front of your vehicle, and they close the interstate, and we usually loose a few residents a year that get lost in winter storms. They also normally pull the plows off when it gets bad, so you can easily end up stuck in a hotel somewhere along the route for the night (or a few).

I grew up in MN, and lived in WI, but it wasn't until I move to South Dakota before I learned what a blizzard can really be like. It's wide open and we have winds 30-40mph on a regular basis. It does not even have to be snowing to have whiteout conditions.

2 hours is bad, but if you have to slow down to 20mph - it will be a lot longer than 2 hours!

A lot depends on how bad it's suppose to get - just snowing with no winds isn't bad - especially in daylight. If it's going to be ice, or heavy snow with blowing- and in the dark, that is very different. And also, if you are driving through very remote areas, or mostly through populated areas, so if something bad happens, you aren't far from help. And remember - if you get stranded, Don't leave your vehicle! That is the number one reason people die - and authorities always find the vehicle long before the body.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:45 AM

Check forecast before you go (including wind conditions). Make sure gas tank is full and cell phone charged. Start out early. If you are used to winter driving conditions and plan it out, it will be worth it!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 AM

I don't think it will sell if it's snowing heavily for everyone. I would contact the seller and make arrangements for better weather.
But I live in an area where 6 inches is a lot of snow.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 AM

I have a 4x4 that will plow through 2' of snow, but I'd try to find another way to get that machine if I really wanted it.

Joe
Old 11-19-2013, 06:45 AM

Depends on how badly you want the machine and your comfort level driving in the snow. The fact you're asking says you have your doubts. If there's a good possibility the snow won't last long explain your situation and ask the seller if they can wait for better weather for you to come get it. Most people are pretty decent and will be willing to work with you.
Rodney