Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 AM
Macybaby

No - but then I live in an area that if the wind kicks up, you can't see more than 10' in front of your vehicle, and they close the interstate, and we usually loose a few residents a year that get lost in winter storms. They also normally pull the plows off when it gets bad, so you can easily end up stuck in a hotel somewhere along the route for the night (or a few).

I grew up in MN, and lived in WI, but it wasn't until I move to South Dakota before I learned what a blizzard can really be like. It's wide open and we have winds 30-40mph on a regular basis. It does not even have to be snowing to have whiteout conditions.

2 hours is bad, but if you have to slow down to 20mph - it will be a lot longer than 2 hours!

A lot depends on how bad it's suppose to get - just snowing with no winds isn't bad - especially in daylight. If it's going to be ice, or heavy snow with blowing- and in the dark, that is very different. And also, if you are driving through very remote areas, or mostly through populated areas, so if something bad happens, you aren't far from help. And remember - if you get stranded, Don't leave your vehicle! That is the number one reason people die - and authorities always find the vehicle long before the body.