Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Easy way to add weight to plastic thread spools >

Easy way to add weight to plastic thread spools

Easy way to add weight to plastic thread spools

Old 04-13-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
The reason your spool was bouncing up and down is that it was a cross wound spool. They prefer to have the thread come off the top (like a serger cone) than to wind off with the spool.
Funny you mention this Tammi. I was using a large black spool (not a cone, just bigger than normal spool) last night on my 411g and the thread kept wanting to wrap around the base (and snap). Took it off the spool holder and placed it on the base, in line with the first guide, and no matter how fast I sewed, no problem at all. The thread can unravel easily and just goes straight up.
Inspiration was from watching my 96K41 with its non-tangling ways.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:35 PM

See I usually use cones of thread that pull up. But i have it sitting in a mason jar and have a christmas ornament stand thingy holding the thread above the jar. From there I position the rig near the thread spools. Then thread the machine. So far I haven't had any tension gremlins. The mason jar corrals the spool and keeps it from dancing across the table it for some reason it gets bumped or stuck.

Ornament Stand: Mine is tall so it holds the thread at about spool level. http://www.amazon.com/Ornament-Stand.../dp/B00067TUKS
Old 04-13-2014, 04:43 PM

Ok, so is this why I had trouble winding a bobbin on my Featherweight yesterday? The spool was jumping all over the place.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
This is a video from Superior threads about the thread types and how they should be delivered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1jq...01QRL-QPUNrCbg

They refer to "spools and cones" but you can get spools that are stack wound or cross wound, just not from them. They only sell stack wound on spools.
Interesting video. Feel like I learned something today
Old 04-14-2014, 01:06 AM

Thanks Tammi for the link, there's some good information in the video. Learned that my Singer 1036 with the horizontal spool pin puts a twist to the thread. It was the only sewing machine that I owned until October '12. I haven't had to deal with spinning spools for over 30 years.

The spool is stack wound. I was zipping along pretty fast doing an edge finish to prevent raveling when I washed the fabric.