Elgin Sewing Machine

Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 PM

The flat spot on the rubber drive wheel seems to be a weakness on ALL machines using that system, not just the Elnas. I think the problem with the Elna is the pulley is apparently hard to access. I've been tempted by the green Elna Supermatics I've seen but haven't pulled the trigger due to that reason.
I'm still buying machines to fill in gaps in capabilities. I still don't have a machine with a free arm and decent metal ones seem to be a bit uncommon.
Rodney
Old 01-22-2014, 07:32 PM

That's kind of where I'm at Rodney. Of course there will always be some fantastic machines that will tempt me, but I really would like one that can do what my other machines don't.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:52 PM

Granting that I do get a zigzag sm with added embroider, what vintage machines do I look for?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
watch out - this is the first sign of SMA.(sewing machine addiction - did i get it right? or it should be SMAD but what's SMAD stands for ?). you totally need an intervention now. putting your nose on this forum will even make it worst. look what they did to me
SMAD Is Sewing Machine Attachment Disorder - not quite the same as being addicted to Sewing machines. I'm to the point that I'm looking for machines to fit my attachments, not the other way around! I also have a collection of Boye shuttles, they made 12 basic styles, so I thought it would be neat to get a machine for each shuttle style (there are plenty others that were not common enough for Boye to make them for aftermarket sales).

Every time I think I'm done, I find something related I could also collect. Been looking at "famous" buttonhole workers now. The early ones were sold by the Singer Sewing Company . . . which is not the same as the Singer Manufacturing Company . . . you see, it really never ends!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:41 AM

I'll add - if you want a neat vintage machine with all sorts of "extras" consider a 158 series Kenmore. Get one that has the ability to do the chainstitch and stitch verigator (or flexi-stitch). I had to get one just because they come with the most amazing four box set of attachments.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:42 AM

Rodney, the Viking 21 series is a neat one for vintage open arm.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 AM

I just did a quick search. Those Vikings are neat looking machines. I'll keep my eyes open
Rodney
Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 AM

if you're going to start harvesting Japanese/Taiwanese zig zags, you'll be up to your ears in no time. Then you may look back and say "why did I buy a boring white one"?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:56 AM

Back in the 70's I purchased my first real machine...............Elgin SU62. These machines are made in metal and not plastic excluding the cams. This machine took a beating from moving from state to state, no cleaning or oiling that I can remember and it still worked like a champ. I finally sold it when I bought my Viking D1 in 2000 thinking I wouldn't need two machines. That was the biggest mistake I made and tried to buy it back for twice the money the lady paid me. She wouldn't take me up on my offer so she must have realized what a gem she had too. The machine never gave me any problems whatsoever the entire time I had it. I basically made clothes with it including one wedding dress. Hadn't gotten into quilting till later. Still wish I had that machine today.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM

I bought my Elna in 64 and sewed on it for 40 yrs. and never ever was it in a shop. I kept it cleaned and oiled myself and to this day, you have an ugly job to do, like sewing upholstery fabric onto yarn hooking canvas, no problem. There aren't enough words of praise for this machine.