Elgin Sewing Machine

Old 01-22-2014, 02:49 PM

Default Elgin Sewing Machine

Does anyone know anything about Elgin sewing machines? I'm not familiar with the brand, but can get a good deal on a s1112 portable. It appears to be from the 70's. I haven't had much success finding info on it via web searches. I'd like a little background on Elgin, reliable, easy to find parts for, etc. before possibly buying it.

Last edited by Rach L.; 01-22-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Just Google. I found lot of photos of Elgins.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Banned

EWWWW Plastic!!!! Ewwwww!!! RUN AWAY!!! hehe
Old 01-22-2014, 03:15 PM

Did you find photos, or descriptions of the machines? I don't want to buy a hunk of plastic crap.

SteveH, yeah, I know....plastic

Maybe instead I should be looking more at this Elna....

it looks barely used (and that's saying something seeing as how this machine is from 1958)!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Banned

I wish I could answer your question, but I have almost zero knowledge about electric/modern machines. I have hear that the Elna has a great reputation for quality.

Note of caution: A lot of the older machines have spent a large portion of their life sitting around waiting for someone to actually use them.... So exteriors get cleaned and wiped down a lot, but the inside could be rusted, gunky, or just plain stuck.

However, with that said.... these older machines were made with the INTENT to last forever, not to last until the next version comes out.... It does not seem uncommon for a machine from the 50's to look almost new. If they were even reasonably well cared for, they should.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:50 PM

Rach L.'s addicted! - Rach L.'s addicted!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:11 PM

Rach,

Elna Supermatics are prone to a certain part breaking--can't remember the name. I've avoided them due to this part failure which is an expensive repair. I'm sure others can ellaborate. The Elgin appears to have quite a bit of plastic in it.

Others will disagree but I feel it's better to seek out the sewing machine rather than have it seek out you. If you have a certain job in mind look for a machine that is well known to perform it well. If you collect try to have some kind of focus in mind. To buy anything and everything that is interesting or cheap you'll soon loose room for the good stuff. BTW, I'm guilty of not following my own advice

Jon
Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 PM

me, too. for some reason the newer model/style doesn't suit me. i'd rather spend my time/money on antique sewing machines. i have passed up on so many newer kenmores, domestics, singers. i'd rather get my hand dirty and oily cleaning out all those craps in a 70+ year old machines. it's just me. i also have zero knowledge about these machines. not that i have 100% knowledge about the antique machines but getting there. i would say maybe i am at 10%
Old 01-22-2014, 04:36 PM

LMAO Macybaby...and you're right! You know, I'm a full-time college student, and when I have time between classes, I hop on here to see whats going on, then go over to CL, eBay, and GW for any new finds, LOL.

This machine caught my eye because it's not super modern, meaning not computerized, but offers a variety of stitch patterns...something my golden oldies don't offer. I don't have any machines that are capable of anything beyond zigzag.

There is a small rash of old vintage type machines around here, but I have passed on almost all of them. If the seller has no knowledge of the machine, they are expensive to repair, are prone to breaking, hard to find parts for, lack a manual or necessary attachments, I usually pass. Many are machines people have been given, or people trying to make a quick buck, which only sounds like trouble for me. That's why it seems like I've been on a man hunt for machines lately, and flooding this site with annoying questions. I'll admit though, I also get a little caught up in the excitement of seeing one I haven't seen before and the potential it could have.

Good advice from you all....and keeping me grounded. I appreciate that!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
LMAO Macybaby...and you're right! You know, I'm a full-time college student, and when I have time between classes, I hop on here to see whats going on, then go over to CL, eBay, and GW for any new finds, LOL.
watch out - this is the first sign of SMA.(sewing machine addiction - did i get it right? or it should be SMAD but what's SMAD stands for ?). you totally need an intervention now. putting your nose on this forum will even make it worst. look what they did to me