Elgin Sewing Machine

Old 01-24-2014, 04:55 AM

I have two Elias one computer and a by
Junkies. I like then both.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

I like the drop in bobbins.
I like the knee controls - brain waves don't have to travel clear to my big toe.
Use something else to do free motion if it doesn't work for you.
Ask Ray White to show you how to put a screw through the machine trick to fix the pulley problem.
These are a light weight machine fairly advanced for the time period.
I think it is a matter of what you want to do with the machine and personal preference. The machines are pretty well engineered. Yes the 62 is a little nicer machine.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Thumbs up Love Mine!

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
Does anyone know anything about Elgin sewing machines? I'm not familiar with the brand, but can get a good deal on a s1112 portable. It appears to be from the 70's. I haven't had much success finding info on it via web searches. I'd like a little background on Elgin, reliable, easy to find parts for, etc. before possibly buying it.

I bought the same model many, many years ago at a yard sale for 20.00. It came with all the decorative cams and I have used them from time to time, but not too often. Anyhow...I LOVE this machine. I own my own business and use this machine daily and believe me, it takes a beating! I have sewn leather, fur, burlap, cotton...you name it. The only thing I have ever had to have done to this machine is 2 times in the last 25 yrs, I have had to have the timing set on it but that was because I got in too big of a hurry doing some free style stitching on some large quilts. I have owned newer, more expensive machines and would not trade this one for the world! I wish you the best of luck! Hope you get it and have as many enjoyable hours of sewing with it as I have!