Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Fabric collecting vs machine collecting >

Fabric collecting vs machine collecting

Fabric collecting vs machine collecting

Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 PM

I seem to have stopped collecting temporarily - am I ill? I even have two that will be sold. I do have one stored at church.

You just have to figure how to make them part of your decor. They like vintage doilies.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:48 PM

An hour ago I put a 301A cabinet with matching stool in the master bath. I re-covered the stool this afternoon in a nice fabric that coordinates well with the floor and counters. I'll head downstairs shortly and get the flat, lay-down, gold edged vanity mirror that up until now has been stored down in the sewing room to hold starch spray bottles and other dangerous items that could damage a wood cabinet down there. After it is up on the sewing cabinet in the master bath complete with little metal jewelry hinged boxes and perfume bottles I am hoping my husband will like my new "vanity" and that it can stay there! Currently, all machines brought in the house are supposed to stay in my sewing room. But, I like irishrose's viewpoint that they are like vintage doilies! They belong anywhere they look good!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Definitely get him involved if you can. Give him a machine or a cabinet to clean or tinker with. Tell him you need his help. If he's anything like my husband he'll jump right in snd try to take over! I've had to relinquish control of cabinet clean/refinish to my husband ... and yes, he looks for machines too!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 AM

My cabinets like vintage doilies on them even though that isn't necessarily an item I would decorate with. If you can't hide the machines, then make them look good.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:50 AM

Love all the great ideas ladies!!! Thank you! My 301a cabinet makes the perfect little computer desk in my dining room.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
My cabinets like vintage doilies on them even though that isn't necessarily an item I would decorate with. If you can't hide the machines, then make them look good.
Haha. Yeah, I misread your original statement of "They like vintage doilies" and instead read it as "They (sewing machine cabinets) are like vintage doilies.". Silly me! I think I'll adopt both viewpoints and try to plop down as many cabinets as I can and add doilies to them. Maybe DH will notice the nice decorations being added against walls and in corners and begin to help me find more lovelies.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:42 PM

No problem - I often think faster than I can type so I leave out words, but seriously, the older cabinets seem to like having doilies on them - I'd best be careful or that will be the next collection.