Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do YOU know the Stages of Vintage Sewing Machine Collecting? >

Do YOU know the Stages of Vintage Sewing Machine Collecting?

Do YOU know the Stages of Vintage Sewing Machine Collecting?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:02 PM

:-D Today, while doing some research on a few vintage sewing machines, I ran across Mr. Ed Lamoureux's blog

http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to "Sometimes You Gotta Let Go!"

What stage of vintage sewing machine collecting are you in?

Personally, I seem to be past Stage 4 but not quite to Stage 5. Oh, BTW, I haven't sold my 2004 Bernina Artista Computerized Embroidery machine and haven't even thought of doing such a thing. It was a very sweet gift from my DH and it actually began launching me into Vintage Machine Collecting.... which has brought my DH and me a lot of fun. :-D :-D :-D
Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 PM

Yep I am a "Stage 4" also. It's good to know I have company. LOL :-D
I don't own anything newer than my FW so I think I need a Computerized machine. lol
Old 08-30-2010, 02:12 PM

I'm somewhere between 5 and 7. I've been giving some away, throwing out some that have been stripped of their useful parts, etc. However, if I should ever come across a Featherweight that's worth the money, perhaps in another color other than black. . . . . . . . . . . Or some other old, odd machine....... It's mostly the intermediate age machines I'm ridding myself of.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:15 PM

I am about mid-way with #3. LOL!!! I am glad you posted a link to his blog. He has some great info on the 500 that may come in handy when I finally get to use my 500A.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
Yep I am a "Stage 4" also. It's good to know I have company. LOL :-D
I don't own anything newer than my FW so I think I need a Computerized machine. lol
LOL! Yes, Faith, I will agree with you... you need a computerized sewing machine! I hope your hubby will agree with us.

I was sure I didn't want mine when I found it on Craigslist but my DH wanted me to have it. I was completely intimidated by it the first year. Now, I can actually do things with it by myself. Used is the way to go though. CL is a wonderful source as I am sure you know. :-D
Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I'm somewhere between 5 and 7. I've been giving some away, throwing out some that have been stripped of their useful parts, etc. However, if I should ever come across a Featherweight that's worth the money, perhaps in another color other than black. . . . . . . . . . . Or some other old, odd machine....... It's mostly the intermediate age machines I'm ridding myself of.
Ewww... I haven't quite gotten to the place of giving them away, except for one to my DIL. But, I have thought of selling a few.... ...sew I could maybe buy a few more... :thumbup:
Old 08-30-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I am about mid-way with #3. LOL!!! I am glad you posted a link to his blog. He has some great info on the 500 that may come in handy when I finally get to use my 500A.
Yes, he does have some great info. :-D The collecting is fun, though, isn't it? As well as the researching!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:50 PM

I found (but didn't buy) a Feather weight on Craigslist this last weekend. It was only 150.00!! I copied the link and put it up on the links thread and noone has even looked at it.
I'm not so sure about a computerized machine though. Heck my FW intimidates me now as it is. I've only made a couple of quilts so I think I need to focus on just getting some tops made. :oops: Though I do have the 66 now. So perhaps this winter I'll get a chance to clean it up.
:XD:
Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 PM

I'm firmly entrenched in Stage 4 and 9. My aunt gave me 5 semi vintage machines. I already had 4 older but not vintage machines. Then I bought an embroidery/sewing machine, then I got bitten by the "vintage machine" bug and wanted a treadle got a couple of vintage machines on ebay when it seemed I couldn't win a treadle on ebay. Well I finally did win one. My family started grumbling about all the sewing machines (I live in a small townhouse). I vowed that after I found a Singer that operated with a knee press I wouldn't get anymore. Saw one on ebay, bidded on it (fully believing that I wouldn't win)--that same night I saw an "upscale" machine (Stage 9) that I fell in love with so I ordered that still thinking that I wouldn't win the ebay bid. What do you know? I won! I'm done now--not getting rid of any but also not buying anymore!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Raptureready--You can donate to my house anytime! :)

I've got the bug: I want a Featherweight! Now to find one~