Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do YOU know the Stages of Vintage Sewing Machine Collecting? >

Do YOU know the Stages of Vintage Sewing Machine Collecting?

Do YOU know the Stages of Vintage Sewing Machine Collecting?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:57 PM

Virtual Bernie... Wow, already stage 9. I think that is like crossing a checker board game and its time we crown you... Mmm, what would make a good crown.

So, what is your upscale machine? What are the goodies that came with?

Last spring I went to a Bernina Extravaganza. We all sewed on the new Bernina 830 with ALL the bells and whistles. What saved me is its price... I think with everything it could be purchased for $12,000. They were nice to sew on though, like driving a Cadillac!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 PM

Mariposa, you will like a FW when you find the right one. I love mine. :-D Happy hunting.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Mariposa, You MUST get a Featherweight!!! I got one recently and it's so much fun to sew on!! My fancy Bernina has taken a back seat lately lol
I have to blame the board for my FW b/c before I joined I had no intention of buying one :D
I also bought a 301 long bed. Those old Singers are fab machines!!
I still have my 1040 Kenmore that I used forever but was so noisy!! But I'll never part with it b/c it was my first machine.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Virtual Bernie... Wow, already stage 9. I think that is like crossing a checker board game and its time we crown you... Mmm, what would make a good crown.

Last spring I went to a Bernina Extravaganza. We all sewed on the new Bernina 830 with ALL the bells and whistles. What saved me is its price... I think with everything it could be purchased for $12,000. They were nice to sew on though, like driving a Cadillac!
Well, my upscale machine is not necessarily upscale to everyone else that's why I put it in quotes. I bought what I could afford and does more than any machine I've ever had. It was a Singer Quantum L-500. I got it because it had a built in walking foot, thread cutter, separate bobbin winder (I can wind bobbins while sewing), over 200 decorative stitches, an elongation feature, mirror feature, etc. It came with the normal accessories plus the "quilting" package--1/4 inch foot, darning/embroidery foot, extension table, overcasting foot, etc. Like I said upscale for me but certainly costing no where near $12,000!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:55 PM

I am here to tell you... I have a featherweight in my home, thank you my dear MIL. I also have a Bernina with all the bells and whistles, thank you my dear sister. I can't even think about piecing a quilt without the featherweight! I think both can work together... but I keep going back to the vintage machine!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

You have a generous family!!! :D
Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
Raptureready--You can donate to my house anytime! :)

I've got the bug: I want a Featherweight! Now to find one~
Mariposa,
There is one on craigslist that I put onto our link section here for $150. Which is a really good deal. It is on the Portland Craigslist.
Faith :lol:
:XD:
Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Originally Posted by SewExtreme

Well, my upscale machine is not necessarily upscale to everyone else that's why I put it in quotes. I bought what I could afford and does more than any machine I've ever had. It was a Singer Quantum L-500. I got it because it had a built in walking foot, thread cutter, separate bobbin winder (I can wind bobbins while sewing), over 200 decorative stitches, an elongation feature, mirror feature, etc. It came with the normal accessories plus the "quilting" package--1/4 inch foot, darning/embroidery foot, extension table, overcasting foot, etc. Like I said upscale for me but certainly costing no where near $12,000!
Bernie will it make you coffee and wash windows too? ;-)
Old 08-30-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
Bernie will it make you coffee and wash windows too? ;-)
That's too funny! That's what my grandson asked me too! :lol:
Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 PM

I have bought my last vintage sewing machine (unless a 201 or a pretty little 99 comes along). ;-)

Seriously, I passed stage 5 a couple of years ago when I finally asked my friends to stop bringing the machines home to me. (I swear they were always finding them in 2nd hand stores, barns and who knows where.)

I've passed stage 6 since I feel like my house is swimming in machines and I don't know where to put all of them. (I thought about moving but realized it would be easier to stop collecting sewing machines.)

I've moved on to stage 7 which is donating a lot of them to friends and organizations. (It is sort of like having a garden of zuchinnis. Everytime someone comes to visit I try to give them a machine.)

I haven't entered stage 8 yet. I still have around 10 machines with two of them being featherweights. My son is trying to talk me out of one of the featherweights and I'm trying to talk him into one of the 301s. You know, he just may talk me out of the featherweight. I might give one to him and to his sister for Christmas.

By the way, my neighbor has gotten the bug from me. Poor lady.

:lol: